Rear DR indexing problem

Twostage
Twostage Posts: 987
edited December 2011 in Workshop
Just replaced my wheels and I'm having a strange indexing problem. It's a 9 speed shimano tiagra. Going either up or down the gears the sixth click jumps a cog. So it goes 1,2,3,4,5,7,8,9 up the gears and 9,8,7,6,5,3,2,1 down them. I can make it go into the missing gear by double clicking back. When I changed the wheel the high and low stops didn't need adjusting. I had the rear DR off at the same time as I was changing the jockey wheels so the cable tension will have changed (obviously I adjusted it on re-assembly). Does it sound familiar to anyone ? Any clues ? It's almost like I've put a ten speed cog on it.
I'm going to do a complete re setup of it starting with the high and low stops. Might even put the old wheel back on.

Comments

• Diogenes
    Diogenes Posts: 1,628
    Twostage wrote:
    Just replaced my wheels and I'm having a strange indexing problem. It's a 9 speed shimano tiagra. Going either up or down the gears the sixth click jumps a cog. So it goes 1,2,3,4,5,7,8,9 up the gears and 9,8,7,6,5,3,2,1 down them. I can make it go into the missing gear by double clicking back. When I changed the wheel the high and low stops didn't need adjusting. I had the rear DR off at the same time as I was changing the jockey wheels so the cable tension will have changed (obviously I adjusted it on re-assembly). Does it sound familiar to anyone ? Any clues ? It's almost like I've put a ten speed cog on it.
    I'm going to do a complete re setup of it starting with the high and low stops. Might even put the old wheel back on.

Not uncommon as cable tensions are fiddly but can generally be sorted by setting the gears up again. If you also changed the cassette then just need to check you have a compatible unit.

D :D
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    Had that exact same problem this morning before i went out for a ride. Swapped the derailler out as i thought the old one was causing problems. Worked better but i still had the mysterious "jumps over a gear and then carries on as normal, so that all the gears after number six are exactly one gear out.. but work fine" . So i put a new cable in (the old one was going brown inside the last length of cable outer)... problem solved. Doh!
  • Twostage
    Aaaaahhhhh.
    Spent an hour and a half trying to sort it. Even tried putting the old jockey wheels back in.
    Starting from the smallest cog (9) by the time I've got to cog six it's hunting for five. Clicking it to five and it hops to four. If I carry on to the first cog and then click down it sticks on one. If I adjust the DR so it drops to two it starts hunting by the fourth click and then skips the next.
    I don't think its the cable being sluggish as I can see the DR getting in front of where it should be going from small to large cog when the cable is under tension.
    The behaviour is like either the gear lever is moving slightly too far or the cogs are too close together. Neither are possible are they ?
    I've tried adjusting the high and low stops. I've checked that the cassette has the spacers in the right place. I'm at a loss. Bent gear hanger ?
  • Twostage
    Just been on the park tools website and I think I've found the problem. I think I've put the cable on the wrong side of the pinch bolt. Will check in the morning.
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    Twostage wrote:
    Just been on the park tools website and I think I've found the problem. I think I've put the cable on the wrong side of the pinch bolt. Will check in the morning.

Lol. Could be that to. Remember altering the way the cable bolted through the derailler when i was putting the new cable on as the old one was twisted round to one side.
  • Twostage
    Sorted :D:D:D
    It WAS the way I'd put the cable in the pinch bolt. I'd put it over the top which was making the cable wrap round it slightly pulling the cable as it went through the gears (and unwinding on the way back). Moved it to the correct side of the pinch bolt (which is awkward TBH) and it worked straight away.
    That's one to remember - score one to the park tools website which said 'if you put the cable on the wrong side of the pinch bolt it may be impossible to set up the DR correctly'.
  • Twostage wrote:

That would do it.