Tandems

andrew@snowrace
andrew@snowrace Posts: 129
edited January 2012 in Road buying advice
Hi just a quick question my wife and I are preparing for a ride down to Spain in July next year. We are thinking about a Tamdem they seem very good value what are the best to go for. What are the pros and cons I currently do far more cycling than she would it be a good Idea to hire one before we buy one. Thanks in advance
Training for the Cycle to Spain and the Quebrantahuesos
www.seeyouinspain.co.uk

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Might be worth posting here if you don't get much feedback:

http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?board=12.0
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    We took one out for a day before we bought ours. Arranged it through here http://www.tandeming.co.uk/
    Well worth it I think. There's a few basics you need to know, such as starting off, stopping safely, etc! and they will answer all your queries a lot better than I can. As you have hired the bike for the day you're not under pressure to buy something which helps.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Another vote for going to see Peter at The Tandem Experience - we went for the day before buying our tandem and he was a brilliant teacher and gave us many good pointers that have served us well tandemming.

Having a tandem has made touring a much more enjoyable experience for us - though my other half is a strong cyclist (15 mile commute 5 days a week etc.), there is a speed difference between us that becomes quite frustrating for both of us. Clearly a tandem equalises our speed, so we don't get frustrated etc. You just need to practise and learn the pace that works for both of you (and never push that pace as it will just lead to frustration again) - I always attack hills like a madman on my solo bike, it has taken quite a few miles for me to accept that it's totally different on a tandem and there's no point in going mad.

I'll question your comment on tandems being good value though! Decent tandems soon get ferociously expensive - but don't let that put you off at all as they are the most fun you can ever have on a bike. Being able to ride along chatting to each other is brilliant.

We bought second hand and that's worked out very well (it was still expensive mind!), though, one day, we'd like to buy something new with S&S coupling etc.

Definitely go and see someone like Peter, or JD Cycles (up in Yorkshire somewhere) and hire one for a day - you'll soon learn if tandems are for you (just be prepared to compromise and remember the golden rule - THE STOKER IS ALWAYS RIGHT!).