Assos bib shorts - what are the different types?

Gizmodo
Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
edited December 2011 in Road buying advice
I'm looking at investing in some Assos bib shorts but I'm confused by all the models they do.

Uno vs Mille seems to be the Mille for longer rides. I'm looking at 40 mile club rides and longer sportives.

But then there's T, TK, F1, 607 and 434 - what's all that about? I live in the UK so cooler days are more normal, unfortunately not quite Italian temperatures.

Any help great fully received.

Comments

• Dadmo
    Dadmo Posts: 61
    I have a couple of pairs of Unos and a pair of Milles - the latter have a looser cut & slightly fuller pad, and are designed for longer rides, but I've worn the Unos for 100-mile rides and found them perfectly comfortable. The T.607s are supposedly for cooler days, but I don't quite get the point - if it's too cold for the regular shorts, I stick tights over them. The T FI shorts are so expensive that I've never been tempted to try them. My advice would be to save a few quid and go for the Unos - one pair has lasted me for more than three years now, and don't look as if they are going to wear out any time soon.
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    The Uno are Assos entry level shorts. They have a slightly shorter length leg than the Mille and the padding isn't quite as much as Mille.
    The Mille come with different length leg options - the longer length would be suitable if you are particularly long limbed or if you are concerned about cycling in strong sunshine. Can't think why else you would want the longer option.
    The f.13 are the top of the range shorts and have a much more durable looking material over the contact area of the shorts.
    The f.13 have a similar fit to the Uno.
    Last summer I took part in a 6 day cycle and I was surprised to find that the f.13 shorts were significantly more comfortable for me than the Mille's.
    Everyone is a slightly different shape but for me the f.13's are the ones to have - they are expensive but looked after well I suspect they will long outlive the Mille.
    The Uno are a great introduction to the brand and are more than comfortable enough for 40+ mile cycles. A good place to start.

Peter
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    607 is a slightly heavier fabric, which you might choose for spring or autumn riding - the sort you might use with knee warmers instead of 3/4 tights. I decided on the longer length Mille shorts myself since I am 6'4" and they still finish well above my knees and therefore look in proportion, so to speak.

Just for info, I think Primera Sports, one of the main suppliers in the UK, have a sale on at the mo. All the best.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Update - it is a discount code ... HOLIDAY-20, might still work.
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    RonB wrote:
    Update - it is a discount code ... HOLIDAY-20, might still work.

That's great guys, thank you for the info. These are the best deals I found:

The cheapest, once the HOLIDAY-20 discount applied is Primera Sports (and they take PayPal as well as Credit Cards)
    http://www.primera-sports.com/products/assos-shorts-754/

Then there's Winstanleys
    http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/

And also Parker International
    http://www.parker-international.co.uk