Converting from SPDs to SPD-SLs

nickellis
nickellis Posts: 239
edited December 2011 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

question from a relative newb to riding clips... I've been riding SPDs for just over a year now, and on longer runs on my right sole gets quite sore across its widest point. Which happens to be where the SPD cleat is positioned. I've tried repositioning the cleat, but the burn follows.

I'm considering changing to SPD-SLs as I assume that a larger cleat will spread the pressure across a wider portion of my foot. The problem I have is that my SIDI shoes have the standard four holes.

I take it the only option I have to use SPD-SLs is to buy new shoes? Or is there another option out there, such as a shim that converts from SPD to SPD-SL holes?
Trek 1.1c (2012) - For commuting
Trek Madone 5.5c (2010) - For pleasure http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o62 ... G_0413.jpg

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    New shoes.

If there is an adaptor out there it will still have the same presure point.
    Which in MTB shoes is normally a sign of a too flexy sole.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Is there a noticeable difference between using SPD to SL, and are they worth swapping to :?:

I mainly ride club runs and plan to do a few sportives next year, and currently using SPD's, but need to get another set of pedals, so is it worth swapping :?

@nicklouse...apologies for hijacking :oops:
  • kfinlay
    kfinlay Posts: 763
    What pedals are you using? Shimano M520s or M530s? You can use A520s that look better on a road bike and have a cage that gives more support to the shoe sole so less of a hot spot. My shoes have a carbon sole and I still noticed a bit of an improvement over M520s over long distances. Only about £25 if you shop around - eg Ribble.
    Kev

Summer Bike: Colnago C60
    Winter Bike: Vitus Alios
    MTB: 1997 GT Karakorum
  • bobgfish
    bobgfish Posts: 545
    I have an old pair of shoes that I didn't ride with for a while. When I reused them I had the same thing as you and could feel the pedal through the shoe. The simple fix is to get a better shoe with a stiffer sole and problem gone. As to pedals I'd say it doesn't really matter. You can walk around in MTB shoes all day and not worry. Road cleats don't last too long. If you have both MTB and road bikes and only one pair of shoes stick with SPD's.
  • Evil Laugh
    Evil Laugh Posts: 1,412
    Yeah just get a better shoe. I use mavic fury, they are very good stiff shoes. Ridden 8 hour days in them, no problems at all. Anything like that with a stiff sole will cure your problem IMO.