Ribble 7005 Sportive frame / forks

redvision
redvision Posts: 2,958
edited December 2011 in Road buying advice
Thinking about getting one of these for the commute in to work (I was looking at the ribble winter bike but really dont like the colour)
http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... IBBFRAR230

Has anyone got one? What are they like? is the riding position relaxed?

Also, do the matching carbon forks have sufficient space for mudguards?

Comments

• sturmey
    sturmey Posts: 964
    The colour of the bike you are hunched over in the howling wind and pouring rain will be of no relevance to most commuters.
    What is more important is being able to fit proper mudguards.
    So there's only one logical choice out of these two bikes mentioned.
    Unless of course you intend to commute by bike solely on the three sunny days we are going to get this coming year in which case it doesn't matter what you buy.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    The geometry is exactly the same as the Winter Trainer, so I think they are being a little cheeky branding that as a 'Sportive' frame. There's nothing relaxed about that tiny head tube.

Anyway, I digress. The poster above is correct. Buy the Winter Trainer, fit some SKS full guards and you have all the commuting bike you'll ever need. I have one. It does a job.
  • Ribble could really do with updating the design of the winter bike a little bit in IMO. The headtube needs to be a bit longer. I don't think anyone rides one without a bunch of spacers under the stem!

But as the poster above says, a great commuter and winter training bike.
  • sturmey
    sturmey Posts: 964
    And headtubes are not short ,quite the opposite in fact. Mine has a 57 cm top tube and a 17.5cm headtube. That's not a low front end by most people's standards.