Old bike...what brakes?

mountaincookie
mountaincookie Posts: 292
edited December 2011 in Road buying advice
I'm doing up an old raleigh as single speed commuter, got all excited, went to fit some shimano 105 (5600) brakes....won't fit?!?!! :cry:

Basically, it seems that the cyclindrical nut thing wont fit into the fork/bridge like modern bikes, and since the brake bolts are shorter than older brakes, I cant just put a normal nut on as the bolt is too short!

Hopefully you get that....

So my question is......what brakes can I buy - what in the description do I look out for that'll say they're suitable for older bikes?

If this all seems like incoherent babble I'll post a photo so you can see what I mean

Comments

• You can just drill out the front fork crwn to fit amodern recessed nut - just drill through from the back of the fork crown through the first part. Similarly you should be able to fit a back brake by drilling the brake bridge if you want a rear brake.

If you need longer brake nuts you can easily get these on line.

Before you do anything however make sure that the brake is the right drop for the frame - older frames tended to use deeper drop brakes - Shimano do an Ultegra version of these, or you can get cheaper versions if you don't value you life quite so much.