What bike to get?

tugboatj1
tugboatj1 Posts: 4
edited December 2011 in MTB buying advice
After a few years of not riding to work and selling my 2001 Scott MTB I have decide to invest in some external anchors and buy a new bike, the two I have on my mind are from Evans (probably do the 12 months interest free) they are;

The BMC Teamelite 03 2011 Mountain Bike:
Frame:Hydroformed triple butted alloyFork:Rockshox Recon Gold 100mmFront Derailleur:Shimano DeoreRear Derailleur:Shimano XTNumber of Gears:27Shifters:Shimano DeoreChainset:Shimano 542Chainrings:44/32/22Bottom Bracket:Shimano Outboard Bearings (73mm)Cassette:Shimano HG-50 11-34tFront Brake:Avid Elixir 5 185mmRear Brake:Avid Elixir 5 185mmBrake Levers:Avid Elixir 5Handlebars:Scor MK2 31.8mmStem:Scor MK2 31.8mmHeadset:FSA Semi integratedGrips:BMC Lock-onFront Hub:DT Swiss X-1900Rear Hub:DT Swiss X-1900Front Tyre:Continental X-King 26-2.20Rear Tyre:Continental X-King 26-2.20Saddle:ScorSeatpost:Scor MK2 31.6mmSeat Binder:Scor MK2 34.9mmWeight:Approx 12Kg/26.4lbs

The Trek 6500 2011 Mountain Bike

Frame:Alpha Black Aluminium with semi-integrated head tube, formed down tube with integrated gusset, formed top tube, monostay seatstay, forged dropouts with rack and fender mounts. Replaceable derailleur hangerFork:Rock Shox Recon Gold Air with rebound, remote lockout, alloy steerer and 10mm of travelFront Derailleur:Shimano DeoreRear Derailleur:Shimano Deore XTShifters:Shimano M590 9 SpeedChainset:Shimano SLXChainrings:44-32-22 TeethCassette:SRAM PG950 11-34 9 SpeedPedals:Wellgo alloy platformFront Brake:Avid Elixir 3 hydraulic disc brakeRear Brake:Avid Elixir 3 hydraulic disc brakeBrake Levers:Avid Elixir leversHandlebars:Bontrager Race Lite Low Riser 31.8mm with 25mm rise and 9 degree sweepStem:Bontrager Race LiteHeadset:1-1/8" threadless semi-integrated with semi-cartridge bearingsGrips:Bontrager Race LiteRims:Bontrager Duster 32 hole rimsFront Hub:Shimano M525 hubRear Hub:Shimano M525 hubFront Tyre:Bontrager XR3 Expert 26x2.2"Rear Tyre:Bontrager XR3 Expert 26x2.2"Saddle:Bontrager Evoke 1Seatpost:Bontrager 31.6mm with 20mm offset.

Both are £949.99! Help or recommend another model of bike in a 18-19 frame size from a london retailer. Any views or tips would be appreciated to solve my impasse. Cheers.

Comments

• Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    Very similar spec's....the only right thing to do is to drag your ass to Evans and try them for size...then choose the one that feels right for you.
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • Cheers, it's a 14 day wait and I'm just seeing if anyone had an experience of either type of bike manufacture. People have had a bad experience in the past of the Avid Elixer 5 breaks on previous Treks also are the SRAM PG950 less hard wearing than the Shimano? I'm a heavy chap at 135kg after years of weight training and don't want too many trips to the bike shop for servicing! So I need a tank of a bike that can take a pounding when required.
  • Cheers, it's a 14 day wait and I'm just seeing if anyone had an experience of either type of bike manufacture. People have had a bad experience in the past of the Avid Elixer 5 breaks on previous Treks also are the SRAM PG950 less hard wearing than the Shimano? I'm a heavy chap at 135kg after years of weight training and don't want too many trips to the bike shop for servicing! So I need a tank of a bike that can take a pounding when required.
  • For what its worth, the Trek I had a few years ago (8000) always felt very long in the top tube.

Best advice is what you've had - wait and at least have a sit on them if not a test ride.
    I hate it when people say David Beckham's stupid...its not like anyone ever says: 'Stephen Hawking - he's s**t at football.' Paul Calf