Wheels - RS30/Fulcrum Racing 7/Mavic Aksium

dizzyblonde82
dizzyblonde82 Posts: 100
edited August 2012 in Road buying advice
Hi,

I have been looking to get a spare rear wheel for using with a turbo trainer but it looks like a better option to upgrade my current wheels and then use my current wheel for on the turbo.

Currently have Alex S480 wheels which came with my Specialized Dolce bike.

Have been looking at the above wheels and have used the search option to go back through old threads but still can't decide! They are all roughly the same price in the sales so just need to make my mind up, any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Sarah

Comments

• Chris James
    Chris James Posts: 1,040
    You'll just get recommended whatever people have just bought, in order to justify their own purchase, rather than help you.

e.g.

viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=12824143&p=17351546&hilit=rs30#p17351546

I have some RS30s that i bought for the turbo, but also use in summer. I like them and have found them durable after 18 months or so. I weigh about 12 stone.
  • ajb72
    ajb72 Posts: 1,178
    You'll just get recommended whatever people have just bought, in order to justify their own purchase, rather than help you.

e.g.

I have some RS30s that i bought for the turbo, but also use in summer. I like them and have found them durable after 18 months or so. I weigh about 12 stone.

That's a bit harsh! I have run Fulcrum 7's for the last 2 winters. Relatively heavy, but totally reliable.
  • Chris James
    Chris James Posts: 1,040
    I was including myself in the criticism as I recommended wheels that I had bought!

I don't think there is much difference between the wheels suggested, all are fairly hefty training wheels that should last if looked after. Few people would have bought each of Aksiums, RS30s and Fulcrum Racing 7s to try them out as they are so similar to each other.

I like Shimano cup and cone hubs, other prefer cartridge hubs. Also the OP might want to consider how available spare spokes are in the event of one breaking. As well as whihc wheels looks the coolest of course. I dare say any of the wheels would be fine.
  • I've also been in this exact same situation looking at all of those wheels too.

I've just got hold of my Planet X AL30 rims which are new out this month. They offer all the pluses of all the wheels listed and at a cheaper price. The only thing is that they are not tried and tested models (although they are based on the Model B rims AFAIK.

They have 30mm deep section rims, are lightest at 1600grms, have 20/24 bladed spokes which are also J-Bent so shouldn't be an issue to source a replacement.
    Ribble Stealth/SRAM Force
    2007 Specialized Allez (Double) FCN - 3
  • Such a difficult decision, can get the Fulcrum 7's for £112.50 and the Mavics/RS30's/Planet X are all £125.

What colour Planet X ones did you go for and do they look like nice?
  • dg74
    dg74 Posts: 656
    Hi

I was mulling over the RS30's or a set of Mavic Aksiums. I rang plenty of places for advice, prices, etc. Researched both sets and the Aksium's came out on top.

I just ordered a set in black with QR's and rim tape from Merlin cycles for £132.55 inc delivery. Bloke at Merlin said they're far superior to the RS30's.

Join the Merlin discount club (Merlin also sell the RS30's) and get the discount.

Reet, time for a whiskey.

p.s. I will say though that the Planet X model B is supposed to be as good as the Aksiums.
  • I actually spoke to someone at Merlin today as I live not to far from them and they said that there really isn't much between the RS30's or the Mavic Askiums but the Fulcram Racing 7 are lower spec.

Going to go to the shop tomorrow and have a look at them in the flesh :)
  • Such a difficult decision, can get the Fulcrum 7's for £112.50 and the Mavics/RS30's/Planet X are all £125.

What colour Planet X ones did you go for and do they look like nice?

I went for the hi polish finish as my bike is silver. They look great out of the box but on my bike they don't look as good as it's laden with crud mudguards at the moment. With a slight squint and the use of my imagination I know they will look really good. (in late March/April when the Cruds hibernate ;) )

I did do some sums during my wheel swap session and I'm hoping for a noticable improvement in handling and acceleration now as I've dropped a whopping 510g just by swapping out the Alex Rims DA16's that came with my Allez! I also have a more aero rim with bladed spokes too so my commute should be interesting.

Here's the facts from my scales:
    Planet X AL30 without skewers
    Front 690g / Rear 890g TOTAL - 1580g

Alex Rims DA16 without skewers
    Front 900g / Rear 1190g TOTAL - 2090g

The Planet X Skewers were also a smidgen lighter too.

Here's some pics: I can't help but think removing ALL of the stickers on the rims/frame would be an improvement.
    6597377571_818755a799.jpg
    6597377075_3317d9cfae.jpg
    6597370293_bbd3be9249.jpg
    6597371069_4e50743425.jpg
    6597373321_90e1084417.jpg
    6597371673_d51a56f0ca.jpg
  • kentphil
    kentphil Posts: 479
    I got black Mavic Askium's and I can recommend them!
    1998 Kona Cindercone in singlespeed commute spec
    2013 Cannondale Caadx 1x10
    2004 Giant TCR
  • Thanks for all the replies, I went in to Merlin today and have chosen the RS30 wheels in White, bit fed up that DPD have messed up the delivery of the cassette I ordered as now have to wait until Wednesday to fit the wheels and get out and test them :)
  • I went in to Planet X today and swapped the silver for black. They look MUCH better in black with my silver frame.
  • CRAIGO5000 wrote:
    I went in to Planet X today and swapped the silver for black. They look MUCH better in black with my silver frame.

So how have the Planet x wheels held up , i am in a similar situation having a choice of the above wheels and dont know what way to go .

Thoughts anyone ?
  • You'll just get recommended whatever people have just bought, in order to justify their own purchase, rather than help you.

e.g.

kind of spooky seeing my thread dug up out the past from yonks ago :lol:
    So since I'm already half in the conversation ;) heres my 2ps worth

just buy the ones you like. You ask and unless several people all go ''ooo don't get *this wheel*'' because they've all encountered the same problem, you're pretty safe.I asked and no one had any major issues with any of the wheels. I like the RS30's best, so I bought them and I'm very very happy. They made a huge difference to the bike, brought it to life so to speak, and they look fantastic. IMHO when you're looking at similarly price, similar quality stuff you should get the one you think looks best as then you'll be happy.