Shimano cassette 10s build problem

on-yer-bike
on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
edited December 2011 in Workshop
I'm building a bike with new Dura Ace 7900 rear mech and new 6700 Ultegra 11-28 cassette. When on the 11 sprocket and large ring the drive is very noisy like it wants to shift. Unscrewing the top adjustment screw doesnt help. Do i need the spacer at the back of the cassette on 2 year old 50mm Dura Ace carbon wheels? I notice there is slight movement with the sprockets like they arent tight enough. I have tried it without the spacer and it makes no difference. The chain is brand new Dura Ace. Could it be the mech hanger alignment slightly out?
Pegoretti
Colnago
Cervelo
Campagnolo

Comments

• Hi, the small spacer MUST be fitted for it to work as all 10 speed Shimano cassettes require this spacer. If the hanger is slightly bent this will affect the indexing and stop you from fine tuning the set up.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    2 yr old da 50mm wheels will have a later 7850 hub and that will def need the spacer for 10sp, no spacer for 8/9.
    Chain wrong way round or bent hanger will effect all gears not just the 11t.
    for the sake of £20ish, I would also use new DA gear cables as well.
    Try setting it up as per shimano tech docs, my 7900 set up works great using these. (they ll be in with the packaging or look on the shimano.eu site)