Elixir 3 lever problem.

tboy823
tboy823 Posts: 102
edited December 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi

Out riding yesterday, and after a particularly gruelling downhill, the rear brake lever stopped working properly.

The brake still works, but the lever won't return properly, its almost as if a spring is broken.

What could have happened please?

thanks
Boardman Team FS 2011

Never let your computer know you're in a hurry.

Comments

• Catfish
    Catfish Posts: 141
    Have you got some crap stuck in the leaver, between the lever and the master cylinder body?
  • timpop
    timpop Posts: 394
    Catfish wrote:
    Have you got some crap stuck in the leaver, between the lever and the master cylinder body?
    +1. Check it's all clean first.
    Many happy trails!
  • tboy823
    Hmmm - will take another look, i did sort of take it to bits but there was nothing obvious in there

cheers both
    Boardman Team FS 2011

• sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    I had this problem with 3 sets of Juicy Utimates :roll:
    Crap gets in past the lever seals and knackers up the push-rod(or plunger) in the reservoir so the lever is slow to return or won't return at all.Two were warranty replacements(both front and I was told it was a manufacturing problem in 2008) and on the 2nd one I bought a reservoir re-build kit repaired myself and sold the brakes.
  • tboy823
    ibbo68 wrote:
    I had this problem with 3 sets of Juicy Utimates :roll:
    Crap gets in past the lever seals and knackers up the push-rod(or plunger) in the reservoir so the lever is slow to return or won't return at all.Two were warranty replacements(both front and I was told it was a manufacturing problem in 2008) and on the 2nd one I bought a reservoir re-build kit repaired myself and sold the brakes.

Thanks Ibbo,

I took the brake lever off today and there's nothing obvious in there, so this sounds more like the issue i have.

I'm taking it back to Halfords on Tuesday for them to take a look at it :roll:

cheers all
    Boardman Team FS 2011