no crown race _ external headset

airsquare
airsquare Posts: 20
edited December 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,
Got a new headset from 'on one'. It's called a smoothie regular which is right size for my head tube / steerer. It is also a external headset. Thing is it does not seem to have come with a crown race. Is this as the crown race is integrated in the bottom casing of the external headset?.
Been searching online but to no avail.
I'm coming to conclusion that this the case and top and bottom headset pieces fit into head tube and steerer then put through.
Any help would be great.
Tanks a zillion......

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    All headsets that I can think of come with a crown race.

Are you sure you are just not over looking something?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • It must have one,have a look at the bottom bearing if you can see a tapered face then either its missing or the parts are in the incorrect order,or if you've got a flat face then it could just be stuck in the bottom bearing.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Pic or call On One
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • My nuke proof headset didn't have a crown race, it was all integrated into the bottom cup, so probably normal if it's a tight fit on the steerer?
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    My smoothie had a sort of massive crown race which you could, possibly, describe as being part of the headset rather than a crown race.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • thanks for responses people.

Called On One who asked me to send in picture of what I have received and have done so and waiting to hear back.

In the meantime I've (hopefully) attached picture below of same image which is made up of 5 parts. Apologies for explanation but I don't know all the techncial names.

folshc.jpg

1. Starnut and topcap (top middle)
    2. Top part of headset to go into top entry of head tube (top left)
    3. Compression Ring which ensures top seal/ring sits tightly attached on #2 (bottom left)
    4. Top Seal/Ring which sits tightly (using compression ring) #2 (bottom right)
    5. Bottom part of external headset (to go into bottom of head tube) which I've assumed needs no crown race as integrated into the plastic casing? (top right)

Anyhow that my take on it :oops: - could well be miles off. Don't know if way off or not and thanks for help so far. Has anyone else got one the same/similar to this - Northwind - was this the same as your's?. Maybe its just that my vision of crown race was vastly different to # 5 above,

Thanks
  • cooldad
    Looks kind of like a Nukeproof one I had, which was rubbish TBH and binned.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what is the ID of the bottom assy?

pics of the bottom from where the race would be?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Needs another picture of the underside of the bottom bearing cup like nicklouse suggests.

However, I would say that if does have a crown race, but might be the type that locks into place (ie you have to push down on the headtube in order to click the bearing into the crown race so that it locks into place).
  • Northwind
    Looks like there might be something on the bottom of the bottom race? Does it come apart?
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Bottom bearing race does not come apart. Swivels round nicely is all I can say. Will post pic of underside though that will have to wait till tomorrow, however underside is flat and does not seem to have any recess for taking any crown race etc.
  • cooldad
    Bottom assembly must come apart or there would be no way to replace the bearing.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Northwind
    OK, I think that it's complete and that the crown race is just stuck to the bottom bearing.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • cooldad
    Exactly like the Nukeproof one I mentioned. Terrible design. Very hard to preload the lower bearing.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • I found it fine (nukeproof one). I do agree though it did worry me for the first few rides out and you do have to pre load the bearing a bit more
  • On One came back today and my lack of knowledge showing up but there are 6 parts, not 5 as I originally posted. New pics below. Basically the bottom bearing part splits into 2 bits with the very bottom section being the crown race (to go on steerer). Needed to be split off with flat headed screwdriver which I've done for all pics below.

9r0qrc.jpg

jtrwnt.jpg

zwdjl1.jpg

Anyway - thanks for all help and advice. Just have to get it on now which means I may be back soon!. :roll:

oh and just as point I found On One pretty helpful to deal with.

Please also, thanking you kindly - tell me more about the pre loading of the bottom bearing????