kmc link on shimano HG

knack-knees
knack-knees Posts: 56
edited December 2011 in Workshop
Chain broke today, starting slipping in 18-20 gears and 40 minutes later - ping! Chain 70 metres back on the A49.

Don't really fancy buying a new chain (and cassette) with the worst of the winter yet to come so thought about using a KMC missing link.

Just wanted to know if it's okay with a shimano 5600 HG 10 speed chain?

Here's the link.

http://www.probikekit.com/uk/components ... speed.html

Merry Xmas

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,551
    yes, it'll be fine
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    Just check the other links for any damage, how many miles has the chain done?
  • have split links on all bikes now and also carry them. Think most use them now, wasn't there a time or still happening that the pins supplied with shimano chains were breaking anway !
    Team4Luke supports Cardiac Risk in the Young
  • BruceG
    BruceG Posts: 347
    Kmc chains and shimano chains are one of the same, KMC manufacture for shimano. As already mentioned though check the rest of the chain
  • Thanks for the replies, haven't checked rest of chain and as I bought the bike 2nd hand not sure on how many miles it's done. I will persevere with a chain repair but if it happens again will change chain.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,551
    hmm, measure the chain, this link tells you about wear and effect, measurement is explained further down the page...

http://sheldonbrown.com/chains.html#stretch

if the chain is really worn it'll have buggered the cassette, in which case when you replace it you must do both together

if it's only just at the point where it'll start wearing the cassette badly, changing chains now might save money in the long run*

*contentious subject: some say ride 'em until they're all totally worn out and only then replace, others prefer to swap/rotate chains earlier and get through at least 3-4 chains before needing to buy a new cassette, i'm in the latter group :-)
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Diogenes
    Diogenes Posts: 1,628
    Thanks for the replies, haven't checked rest of chain and as I bought the bike 2nd hand not sure on how many miles it's done. I will persevere with a chain repair but if it happens again will change chain.

I would be changing the chain now, you do not know how old or how many miles, if the next time it snaps you are out the saddle charging up a hill it may hurt! As already said you may need a cassette too.

D :D
  • ADIHEAD
    ADIHEAD Posts: 575
    I wouldn't even consider riding that chain again! How will you feel if next time it breaks it pulls your rear mech into your spokes? Change it for a KMC for £13.40 from Ribble, cassette - £33.56 if you need it. What's the problem with changing it in the winter? Things wear out quicker in bad weather, but it might be raining a lot in the spring/summer also :wink: Buy both, put the chain on, if it doesn't jump, keep the cassette as a spare, if it does, fit it. In fact for £13.40 I'd be buying a set of 3 of them :D