Handlebar Position/Shifter Position

dizzyblonde82
dizzyblonde82 Posts: 100
edited December 2011 in Road beginners
Hi,

I can't decide if my shifters are in the right position or whether they need adjusting slightly - I think the handlebars need rotating downwards slightly as the shifters seem high up. Here is a picture:

P1000693.jpg

The current position seems to put pressure on my wrists, Any advice on getting the right position would be great.

Thanks
Sarah

Comments

• Evil Laugh
    Evil Laugh Posts: 1,412
    Roll the bars down until the drops are approaching flat. Unwrap the bars and place the shifters so your wrists are just right when holding them. Wrists not tilting back or forward too much, just neutral.

It looks like you will shorten your reach to the levers if you roll the bars down and adjust the shifters back or up. This may enable you to use a longer stem, which could make the bike feel better too. Maybe the shorter reach would work too.
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    I would rotate them down quite a bit, my first road bike came from the shop like yours and I was advised by someone on here to do this.

It made a huge difference to the bike, just try some different positions and see what works.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • Thanks for the replies :) I will have a look at the handlebars tomorrow, as this is my first road bike I didn't want to go messing and making things worse.

Will try rotating them downwards a bit first, not really confident about removing bar tap and moving shifters.

Just trying to get the set up right for when I can actually take it out, 1 more week for MRI scan results and decision on knee op number 7 :(
  • Evil Laugh
    Evil Laugh Posts: 1,412
    Just rotate to get your wrist right then. If you've not actually been out on it yet, you'll probably find you'll have a lot less weight on your hands when you are moving. I'd imagine you'll still be rolling them down though.

Good luck with that knee!