10 speed chain lube

Herbsman
Herbsman Posts: 2,029
edited December 2011 in Workshop
I just upgraded from 9 to 10 speed and my LBS recommended their 10 speed chain lube, but at £34.95 for a 200ml bottle I was a bit hesitant to buy it. Anyone know where I can get some at a reasonable price?
CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!

Comments

• There are as many chain lubes as there are opinions about them. How you get a 10X specific lube I dont know, it's a chain. Personally I rate Purple Extreme, expensive, yes, properly applied in accordance with the instructions I think it's worth the outlay.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Could you not buy two bottles of the much cheaper 5 speed lube instead?
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    In these wintery condfitions I swear by stadard lube applied carefully then a light topping of lard (or, to be seasonal, duck fat) to hold it all in.

On a serious note - errrrr: no. Standard lube will be fine. I'll now sit off and let everyone bicker about brands.
  • Yossie wrote:
    In these wintery condfitions I swear by stadard lube applied carefully then a light topping of lard (or, to be seasonal, duck fat) to hold it all in.

Nigella is touting goose fat this year
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • Here you go: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CHAINSAW-SAW- ... 484337d952

If somebody believes that the bicycle-specific drivetrain lubes are anything but low-grade oil in a tiny bottle with a massive pricetag then they prolly expect a fat man clad in red to tumble down the chimney in a couple of days' time.
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Yossie wrote:

Nina fron Nina and the Neurons covered in goose fat .......
  • I have a 6 speed lube for my 1980s bike, a 9 speed lube for my 1990s bike and an 11 speed lube for the latest... all 3 in 1 :lol:

A 10 speed lube at that price is a joke... the person who gave you the advice should be reported to the agency for trading standards :evil:
    left the forum March 2023
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    wet lube (about 3quid ish) for the winter

dry lube in the summer if you ride a lot and can be bothered to have 2 sets on the go, or if not just more wet lube
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    Yossie wrote:

Thats to put on her chapped lips.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    Finish Line wet lube works for me, just put a bit more on this time of year.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    I'd recommend elbowgrease, especially if you are using dissimilar metals.
  • Mike67
    Mike67 Posts: 585
    Mmmmm...hope you got some ten speed pedals as well, you'll never go quick enough with those old 9 speed ones :D

Finish line dry lube for me in Summer and wet lube when it turns nasty. Use this combination on my 8, 9 and 10 speed bikes.
    Mike B

Cannondale CAAD9
    Kinesis Pro 5 cross bike
    Lots of bits
  • Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    Herbsman wrote:
    I just upgraded from 9 to 10 speed and my LBS recommended their 10 speed chain lube, but at £34.95 for a 200ml bottle I was a bit hesitant to buy it. Anyone know where I can get some at a reasonable price?

So, you are either taking the piss, or your LBS has dealings with NASA?

Seriously though - tell me what that lube is called, because nothing spring to mind at that price! As most have finish line/anything else you fancy should be good to use and as the dames may suggest: dry in dry conditions and wet in wet conditions. :D
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    If it's not made by distilling the tears of the baby Jesus then it'll be no good.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    I'm guessing that there's a link here to why some people on this forum only get a thousand miles out of a chain!
    It's got to be the answer, I'm going to order a shit load of that stuff and ditch the duck fat!
  • siamon
    siamon Posts: 274
    I appropriate some stuff from work that's even more expensive than the OP's, it's the oil from the head of a Sperm whale. Not particularly PC but you wouldn't believe the lack of friction and noise. Since trying it, I won't use anything else.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Also, the best carbon paste consists of finely ground unicorn horn mixed with goblin sweat.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}