Front mech issues

bobgfish
bobgfish Posts: 545
edited December 2011 in Workshop
Riding along tonight and changed down from large ring to middle ring. Large clunk followed and from that point the chain started to rub on mech whilst on the middle chainring. Got home looked it over and can't see any obvious issue. Cables seem ok and not loose. However when trying to change the shifter now seems very tight. Hard to move up or down. If I just pull the cable by hand the mech seem to move free enough but seems very tight by shifter. Just brought a new triple a week back but if the front shifter is knackered I'll go back for a double. Ideas what might have happend and what is wrong?

Comments

• mikeeye
    mikeeye Posts: 162
    bobgfish wrote:
    Cables seem ok and not loose.
    Did you check for fraying inside the shifter? I've had indexing issues on the rear mech as the cable starts to fray.
    If you still don't know what recursion is, read this sentence.
  • bobgfish
    bobgfish Posts: 545
    Not pulled the shifter or cable out just yet. Cables less than a month old. This weekemd I guess.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Wot he said

You've confirmed the problem is at the shifter end rather than the mech so unclamp the cable at the mech and fish it out of the shifter and give it a good looking at. It may be badly seated or actually starting to disintegrate. Once the stray bits of wire find their way into the innards of the shifter they can be a bugger to retrieve and can stop it working properly.

Just been through the same thing with my rear shifting; not sure I'd have been able to extract the cable if it had become any more mangled.

If the cable looks OK and it seats properly in the shifter, sounds as if the shifter itself may be at fault.