Convert CXP-22 rear wheel to singlespeed?

luv2ride
luv2ride Posts: 2,367
edited December 2011 in Workshop
Another singlespeed question. I was thinking about selling a barely used Mavic CXP-22 wheelset to part fund a pair of Halo Aerorage SS wheels.

However, is it possible that I could convert the rear wheel (with Shimano 9/10 speed freehub) to a single speed using spacers and a rear cog, as on the velosolo website?

What are the pitfalls (if any?)

cheers all... :?
Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...

Comments

• mz__jo
    mz__jo Posts: 398
    I use the velosolo ss converter spacers. Better than the kits with only 2 spacers because you can adjust the chainline over a greater range so you don't even need to worry too much about correcting the line at the chainset. If there is a weakness it is only the limited range of sprocket sizes. You can find 16 and 18 easily everywhere and velosolo have 15T. I think a better choice of sprockets is available at Tarty Bikes http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/splined_sprockets/c28.html and you need to use a wide lockring; in my experience the ones used on cassettes with 11T sprockets don't have a large enough contact surface bearing on the spacer but those on cassettes with 12 and 13T sprockets are OK. If you want to run ss and not fixed it is a good bit of kit.
  • mz__jo
    mz__jo Posts: 398
    Should just add that the ss converters are for wheels with cassettes therefore road wheels or mtb wheels, 130 or 135mm oln. So limited to road or mtb frames, not track frames or frames with specific ss rear spacing (120mm). Since I do not know what frame you want to put your Halo wheelset onto I can't say if your plan will work or not.
  • luv2ride
    Thanks mz_jo
    I'm using a Specialized Singlecross frame but not sure of the rear spacing. Presumably this is the dimension between the inside of frame dropouts? cheers
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • Luv2ride wrote:
    Thanks mz_jo
    I'm using a Specialized Singlecross frame but not sure of the rear spacing. Presumably this is the dimension between the inside of frame dropouts? cheers

It is
    left the forum March 2023
  • luv2ride
    looks like frame is 120mm, rather than 130mm so I don't think I can use the CXP-22's with the 9-10 speed hub(alas).

I see Evans have a Charge Dish S/S wheelset for £110 sniffs - any good?

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cha ... 9#features