Need new left crank arm

jsands294
jsands294 Posts: 33
edited December 2011 in Road beginners
Hey

Was changing my pedals over from toeclips to SPD-SL's and have a serious problem now.

The left crank got damaged in the process. I'll not go into detail but the thread for the left is ruined and wont take my new pedal. The crank is FSA Tempo 175mm, and brand new on my new Giant Defy 4 2012, which is the most annoying part.

I took it to the local bike shop to see if they could order me in one and they most likely said I will need a new crankset. I have looked online for the left arm and none to be found my size.

Anything that could easily replace it until I get a new crankset, or any other better advice?
Giant Defy 4(Triple) 2012

Giant TCR Advanced SL 4 2013

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    find a better shop that can fit a thread saver so you can use that arm.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    A new chainset ? They're taking the pee.

Plenty of places will sell you just the left hand crank. http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/cranks-left-dept895_pg1/ for example.

You may have to look harder to find the same FSA crank, but theres no reason that it has to match the right. Its not like you see both sides at the same time anyway ! ;-)
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,204
    Let me guess, tried to tighten the pedal the wrong way? :wink:

You should be able to find something second hand on ebay but possibly not a match. I knackered the chainring side of mine a couple of years back and there were loads of left side cranks on the but very few right side! I've actually got the left side one still lying around and think it is a 175mm but it's a square tapered Shimano 600 so probably no use to you?
  • I need a diamond hole 175mm left crank, so if thats what you got :)

I knew it was reverse thread, but the pedal literally would not budge. Maybe was put on too tight by the bike shop and probably not greased. The right was tight, but not like the left.

I should ask about a thread saver, if it will hold out for a few months at least. Just a pain not being able to get out on the bike.

Thanks for advice guys :) Still can't find the left crank, even something similar. I'll bring the crank back to the bike shop and definitely ask if it can be saved at all.

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    jsands294 wrote:
    I should ask about a thread saver, if it will hold out for a few months at least.

Why assume it to be a temporary fix? And, as Nicklouse says, you really don't want to go back the same shop that just wants you to buy a new crankset.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • They were the ones that sold me the bike, only reason why I went back. How much could a thread saver help? The damage is quite significant

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Helicoil is a steel thread insert. It's a permanent repair. Quite commonly used in automotive situations, eg when a spark plug has been cross-threaded in an alloy cylinder head.

Try Highpath Engineering
  • b16 b3n
    b16 b3n Posts: 301
    Buy a 10 mil tap :D
    " GET BACK CROC "
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,172
    as above, try getting it rethreaded

otherwise, go to a better lbs - after a car drove into me i had a bent fsa crank arm (only real damage!), i walked into cyclesurgery and for a tenner got a generic square taper crank arm, it wasn't identical in styling to fsa, but it was close enough
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny