Help Rebuilding my Shimano WH-RS10's

Fen Grinder
Fen Grinder Posts: 22
edited December 2011 in Workshop
Anybody?
I have stripped and rebuilt a few sets of road bike wheels over the last couple of years, but never these ones.
I stripped them down some weeks ago and when i went to rebuild them this morning i have had a memory failure.
(The Rear Wheel)The inner dust seels that go between the loose ball bearings and lock-nuts/outer bearing surfaces, do they go metal side in, next to the bearings or metal side out? (They have a flexible rubber dust seal on the inner hole, metal surface one side and plastic surface the other)
I have looked and printed off the spec sheet and blown up technical drawings from the shimano site, but they are not detailed or big enough to make out.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Stuart (Fen Grinder)

Comments

• Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    Anybody?
    I have stripped and rebuilt a few sets of road bike wheels over the last couple of years, but never these ones.
    I stripped them down some weeks ago and when i went to rebuild them this morning i have had a memory failure.
    (The Rear Wheel)The inner dust seels that go between the loose ball bearings and lock-nuts/outer bearing surfaces, do they go metal side in, next to the bearings or metal side out? (They have a flexible rubber dust seal on the inner hole, metal surface one side and plastic surface the other)
    I have looked and printed off the spec sheet and blown up technical drawings from the shimano site, but they are not detailed or big enough to make out.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Stuart (Fen Grinder)
    You're talking about part no. 7 on the tech docs right ? It looks cup shaped to me.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    If the seal comes into contact with the bearings then metal-side in
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Depending on which fen you inhabit you're welcome to have a look at mine. I've had the hubs to bits a couple of times, but I don't remember any puzzles on reassembly.
  • Thanks for all your reply's. I've rebuilt them, metal surface in and they appear to be running well. You just can't beat Shimano quality, two years of hard riding in all weathers and the bearings and surfaces are all crystal clear (and these are meant to be budget wheels) Unfortunately the same cannot be said for my spare 'Alex' rims, half the mileage and the bearings and suraces are all worn and pitted.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    That's what I found; had them to bits for the first time after their second winter only to find smooth, shiny components and still plenty of grease.
    It seems the seals are pretty effective, and I think the hubs will clearly outlast the rims