Sporty road bike with rack eyelets?

El Selb
El Selb Posts: 137
edited December 2011 in Road beginners
I'm buying a new road bike in the next couple of weeks.

I'd narrowed it down to the Spesh Secteur Sport or the Allez Sport. I took both for a test ride earlier but a few negatives for both - Secteur: a bit tooo upright, looks aren't great / Allez: no rack eyelets, 2012 colours not so clever.

I know I could get a rack to attach to a saddle for the Allez, but that could only take 10kg.

SO are there any sportyish road bikes with rack eyelets, for a budget of about £800?

Comments

• +1 for the Defy. I got one of these earlier in the year and I've been quite pleased with it.
  • Another one for Defy, bought one a couple of months back & think it's great, the Defy 2 got an excellent review in this months cycling plus as well
  • El Selb
    I didn't think they had rack eyelets? Was actually looking at one of these on Fri and didn't think it did?
  • El Selb wrote:
    I didn't think they had rack eyelets? Was actually looking at one of these on Fri and didn't think it did?
    Mine does, 2 plastic plugs cover them
  • This is the setup on my 2011 frame - I think the 2012 frame is similar:

IMAG0147.jpg

IMAG0148.jpg
  • gwillis
    gwillis Posts: 998
    Kinesis tk2 sporty and a lovely ride
  • careful
    careful Posts: 720
    "Kinesis tk2 sporty and a lovely ride" +1
  • Evil Laugh
    Evil Laugh Posts: 1,412
    How upright was the sectuer? Can't imagine there's enough between them a change of stem and spacers wouldn't fix.
  • tonye_n
    tonye_n Posts: 832
    gwillis wrote:
    Kinesis tk2 sporty and a lovely ride
    Yes... but the geometry is VERY race orientated. Very short head-tube. It's best for experienced riders whos back have adjusted over time to a proper race oriented bike.

Perhaps the Genesis Equilibrium? But I too would recommend the Giant Defy. Very light alu frame that is eminently upgradeable overtime. The curved seat-stays of the Kinesis TK make it a tad more comfy than the Defy, but not by much.
  • El Selb
    Thank Scouse, hopefully so.

Evil, you're right, when they dropped the handlebars by 10mm on the Secteur it did feel better, and still another possible 10mm to go.

I went to a few shops again today, primarily looking to to take a Defy 2 for a ride but there were none in the stores I tried so have to wait till later in the week. Ended up taking a couple of cyclocross bikes for a spin - I do like the idea of them but I don't think they're the way to go really.

The Equilibrium and TK2 look a tad too expensive (£800 budget).

Hoping I'm going to love the Defy in the week and then I can get this bloody bike sorted!
  • b16 b3n
    b16 b3n Posts: 301
    Ribble Winter/Audax. They have eyelets on.
    " GET BACK CROC "
  • floosy
    floosy Posts: 270
    b16 b3n wrote:
    Ribble Winter/Audax. They have eyelets on.

But only accept 23mm tyres...
  • +1 for Ribble Audax as they are ten a penny up north and fit the bill nicely. Depends how sporty you want it as these do only take a 23mm max.
  • b16 b3n
    b16 b3n Posts: 301
    nope, you can actually get 25mm tyres on them. I did with a bit of playing around with the mudguards
    " GET BACK CROC "
  • frosty99
    frosty99 Posts: 115
    Its a more expensive bike but I think I read in Cyclingplus that the trek madone 3.5 had eyelets
  • El Selb
    When I google the ribble audax I only get frames. What's the deal - you buy the frame and get a bike shop to fit whatever else you want on it? Same situation with the Condor Fratelli. If that's the case I'm just looking to buy a complete bike on the cycle to work scheme to be honest.
  • Nik Cube
    Nik Cube Posts: 311
    Just go to the ribble website there you have the option of bike builder or special editions. I recently bought a winter trainer/Audax bike from them and have ridden it every day since. Ni e unassuming look rides well and does have tack eyelets. I bought mine from the special edition it gives less choice but better value - mine has veloce groupset and a carbon seatpost.
    Fcn 5
    Cube attempt 2010
  • careful
    careful Posts: 720
    Tony_n said
    Yes... but the geometry is VERY race orientated. Very short head-tube. It's best for experienced riders whos back have adjusted over time to a proper race oriented bike.
    ]
    What?
    TK2 is an all rounder with a long head tube for an upright position.

See the CRC description:http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=43320
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    You considered Ebay for a used Racelight TK / TK2? That might get one into your budget.
  • El Selb
    keef66 wrote:
    You considered Ebay for a used Racelight TK / TK2? That might get one into your budget.

No dude, i'm looking at a 800 or so bike so 500 or so after after tax on cycle to work scheme
  • keef66
    Ah, Ebay and CTW don't really mix do they?
  • morrisje
    morrisje Posts: 507
    Just to clarify the kinesis TK2 geometry question.

It did have a very racey position. I have one that is a few years old and it has a very low front end.
    They changed the geometry this year and gave it a longer head tube.
  • keef66
    Mine too; Tk with the old paint job. I have a couple of spacers and the stem flipped up to compensate.

Didn't know they'd changed the geometry. It was designed as a race geo. winter trainer
  • morrisje
    morrisje Posts: 507
    According to this link they changed the 2012 TK2 geometry

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... 2-12-45502
  • keef66
    The buggers! They've turned it into the bike I was looking for in 2008!
    And so have Cannondale; the current Alu Synapse has long drop brakes and fittings / clearance for proper guards. I'd have had one of them had that been the case 3 years ago.

Suppose it shows they are listening to their customers
  • El Selb
    Keef - I've only just read this, after 99% deciding to buy a synapse today. Felt really nice to ride - somewhere between the secteur and allez - and looks a lot better.

Sound choice?
  • keef66
    I can only justify one bike, but I ride year round so it has to take guards and 25mm tyres. If I was buying that bike right now it would be the Alu Synapse.