Advice on fitting bar tape on aero bars

Dick Scruttock
Dick Scruttock Posts: 2,533
edited December 2011 in Workshop
Can anyone give me any advice on how best to install bar tape on aero bars? I have just bolted the brake levers up but there is quite a step down from the lever to the bar itself. Should i wrap a piece of tape around the bar to reduce the step then fit the full length tape over the top of this? If people don't understand what I mean I will get some photos later.

Comments

• Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • I have no tape whatsover, keep clean lines. All I have is just some small strips of sponge where I hold the ends of the extensions and nothing on the drops. If you don't need any comfort but your bars are a bit slippy, then stick some skateboard grip tape or even some light grade sandpaper onto them.
    Team4Luke supports Cardiac Risk in the Young
  • I use eletrical tape, keeps the cables in neatly. I wear 'aero gloves' which do make me look a bit of a prat but they have grippy stuff on the palm which is much better than tape anyway.
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    I've used tape that I think is similar to the tape used for tennis racket handles and the like. Better than bare and also better than sandpaper - I tried that once and at the end of the race (hilly 20 miler) I had blood dripping from my fingers.
    Could use this : http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... ELOHBTP200