avoiding getting air in a recovery drink made in a mixer

neeb
neeb Posts: 4,471
edited December 2011 in Road beginners
So I've started making recovery drinks with bananas, water and a dash of whey protein. I chuck it all into an electric mixer and turn the switch.

Somehow, I've managed to exist on this planet for 44 years without ever having owned or used an electric mixer until now, so this is all new to me! The drinks taste great, but they are about 1/3 air, i.e. a dense froth. Is there any way to avoid this? Mix for less time, leave it to settle? (leaving it for a minute or so didn't seem to make any difference).

Comments

• No, those ingredients will always include air given the opportunity. Try mashing the banana with a fork rather than the electric whisk.
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    Leave for a bit, probably.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,707
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • neeb
    I've never liked milk - not since I was about 6 at least (otherwise, indeed, I'd just drink the stuff rather than taking whey).

The blender is seriously convenient. Might try leaving it 5 mins. Drinking it as it was, the air was rapidly and loudly expelled the way it came in anyway.. :wink:
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Run it on a lower speed, that should help
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Mix it in a vacuum ?
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Mix the whey protein powder in one of those protein shakers that people at the gym use, drink it down and then eat the banana separately?
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • pbt150
    pbt150 Posts: 316
    Afraid any recovery drink with a decent amount of protein in is going to form a frothy head. If you want to get rid of it, there are a few ways you can do it:
    -wait
    -put some ~100% Ethanol in a window-cleaner bottle and spray it onto the foam (the alcohol breaks up the bubbles)
    -put it in a high speed centrifuge

Options 2 and 3 are what I'd use if I wanted to get rid of bubbles in a sample in the lab, option 1 is probably your best bet :wink: .
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Why not just eat the banana and mix the whey with water using a shaker bottle? If you get some flavoured whey then it doesn't even taste bad.

(as already suggested above I see)
    More problems but still living....
  • neeb
    Yup, I could take the banana and whey separately and prepare the latter using a shaker bottle, but they're nice together and the mixer is very convenient.
    pbt150 wrote:
    Afraid any recovery drink with a decent amount of protein in is going to form a frothy head. If you want to get rid of it, there are a few ways you can do it:
    -wait
    -put some ~100% Ethanol in a window-cleaner bottle and spray it onto the foam (the alcohol breaks up the bubbles)
    -put it in a high speed centrifuge

Options 2 and 3 are what I'd use if I wanted to get rid of bubbles in a sample in the lab, option 1 is probably your best bet :wink: .

I will try waiting. I noticed that a different whey-based powder I once read the instructions of recommended consumption within 10 mins of preparation. Is this because the protein starts to denature and/or oxidise once it is hydrated?
  • Headhuunter
    neeb wrote:
    I will try waiting. I noticed that a different whey-based powder I once read the instructions of recommended consumption within 10 mins of preparation. Is this because the protein starts to denature and/or oxidise once it is hydrated?

Yeah most whey protein powder manufacturers recommend immediate consumption after mixing... Not sure why. So waiting is probably not a good idea
  • Sports nutritionists are now saying milk is the "near perfect" recovery drink. It has protein, fats, carbs and doesn't taste too bad either. I shied away from milk for years but now recommend it to everybody, and it is cheap and widely available. Checkout the recommendation on Anita Bean's sport nutrition book on my site
    www.tonyharveytraining.com
    "I do the research so you don't have to!"
    www.tonyharveytraining.com
  • neeb
    Sports nutritionists are now saying milk is the "near perfect" recovery drink. It has protein, fats, carbs and doesn't taste too bad either. I shied away from milk for years but now recommend it to everybody, and it is cheap and widely available. Checkout the recommendation on Anita Bean's sport nutrition book on my site
    http://www.tonyharveytraining.com
    I just can't stand the taste of the stuff myself, I have a physically nauseous reaction to it. I've always wondered if I have some sort of genetic taste-related intolerance to it (I'm not aware of having a digestive intolerance to lactose). Milk is a relative newcomer to the adult human diet, so it would make sense if some people as adults were genetically programmed to dislike the taste, because most humans of non-European or western Asian origins can't actually digest it. My theory is that I have inherited the genes for digesting milk but not for liking the taste of it. Or perhaps I'm mildly lactose intolerant but because I don't drink milk by itself it's never been an issue.

In any case, for me personally whey and bananas gives me the perfect combination of milk proteins without the fat and without the taste, and with the carbs in a different form.
  • Headhuunter
    neeb wrote:
    Sports nutritionists are now saying milk is the "near perfect" recovery drink. It has protein, fats, carbs and doesn't taste too bad either. I shied away from milk for years but now recommend it to everybody, and it is cheap and widely available. Checkout the recommendation on Anita Bean's sport nutrition book on my site
    http://www.tonyharveytraining.com
    I just can't stand the taste of the stuff myself, I have a physically nauseous reaction to it. I've always wondered if I have some sort of genetic taste-related intolerance to it (I'm not aware of having a digestive intolerance to lactose). Milk is a relative newcomer to the adult human diet, so it would make sense if some people as adults were genetically programmed to dislike the taste, because most humans of non-European or western Asian origins can't actually digest it. My theory is that I have inherited the genes for digesting milk but not for liking the taste of it. Or perhaps I'm mildly lactose intolerant but because I don't drink milk by itself it's never been an issue.

In any case, for me personally whey and bananas gives me the perfect combination of milk proteins without the fat and without the taste, and with the carbs in a different form.

Yeah I used to abolsutely hate the taste and smell of milk when I was younger... I merely dislike it nowadays and can drink it if I have to but I can't say I enjoy it... I drink chocolate flavour whey protein which tastes quite nice
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,707
    Sports nutritionists are now saying milk is the "near perfect" recovery drink.
    They'll have a new favourite product next week. I feel there are better products available than cow's milk. Perhaps the Dairy Council funded the research.

If it's so good why do a significant number of athletes, including Mark Cavendish, avoid drinking it?
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.