Tips for Storing Bike in Outdoor Shed

iGlaswegian
iGlaswegian Posts: 87
edited December 2011 in Road beginners
Hi everyone

Just wanted to know if theres any tips etc for storing bikes in sheds, especially with the weather which we have now (snow, cold, sub zero temps etc). Should I be wrapping my Trek 1.2 in something or... ?

Comments, tips, abuse down below will be appreciated :D

Comments

• mine are both stored in the dining room, along with my turbo, tools, stand etc :)
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Unless you can get electric to the shed, then not much. Main issue will be freewheel freezing and cables if stored wet. When it's really cold (minus 5 etc) then it might be worth the bike being inside the home (assuming you still plan to ride it).

If left outside all day and night and the bike is wet or damp, then there is a real chance of freezing up.

My garage temps dropped below freezing last winter - I have a small cylinder heater that keeps the damp off and is located next to where the bikes sit. I normally ride fixed, but due to the snow/ice out came the MTB (with spikes) but I brought it in overnight to prevent freewheel freezing - never had a problem riding through thick snow as the internals were dry - bike was also inside a heated building during the day.

I have had the freewheel freeze once - bike in garage, had brought it in just before setting off, walked to end of road (before spiked tyres) - wouldn't go - freewheel froze with the pawls open - cold bike, condensation from short stay in house, back out into cold = FROZEN.
  • Ahhh right, theres no chance of bringing it in the house due to space but could do it now and then when the weather is scheduled to drop below zero.

Cheers guys
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Condensation is the main problem with storing bikes in unheated buildings - cement / asbestos roofs are the worst for condensation IME - may be worth putting a cover over the bike - cheapo ones available from Poundland. Provided the bike is clean and dry, then there's little to worry about. FWIW when you get below minus 40 C, you reach the glass-transition temperature of some rubbers / elastomers which can cause them to go brittle - you have to go to the Arctic / Russia before it gets that cold!
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Chris James
    Chris James Posts: 1,040
    I keep my bike in the garagae (which is omnly heated by having a freezer in it).

I've never had any condensation issues and it was -18 at the local weather station last winter. I would have thought condensation is likely to be more of an issue when the bike goes through a large temperature change (i.e. stored indoors, ridden outdoors).

I'd just use common sense, if the roof isn't leaking or anything then the bike should be fine!
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    I just cover my bikes as I don't want to damage them by dropping anything on them. I have electric to the shed and I'm often out there pottering about with things so shed stays fairly warm and ventilated.

Another reason to cover them of course is to keep spiders webs off the carbon parts as everyone in the know knows that chemicals in them can cause the carbon to shatter without warning whilst descending hills at speed.
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    Given your screen name a very large, hungry rotweiller.
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    I put my bike in the shed.

The shed is ventilated with an air gap above the window.

Then I lock the shed...

Works for me :)
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,204
    I had a bike in the shed for 15 years with no heating, slightly leaking roof for part of the time and when I evetually got it out all it needed was a dust down and a good oiling (although I did change the chain). It then spent the following winter in all the snow 2 years ago out in the garden covered by a thin tarpaulin. Bikes are a lot tougher than some people give them credit for. Just keep everything that needs to be well oiled / greased and it will be fine.
  • jc4lab
    jc4lab Posts: 554
    The drying out and seizure of cables gets me every year.Ive 3 bikes stored in the shed.over winter..."Use or lose "holds true Id say Best take one just for jaunt to the shop or whatever now and then than leaving just standing for any length of time
    jc
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Condensation is more of a problem if you bring a cold bike into a warm room.
    Sheds are fine and bikes need no special treatment.
    Last winter, the shed remained subzero and snow left on the bike in the evening was there in the morning. No harm done.
  • anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    One thing i would say..

Make sure your insurance (if you have any) covers the bikes in an outdoor (presumingly wooden) shed.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    A lot of padlocks.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • lemoncurd
    lemoncurd Posts: 1,428
    You don't need to do anything to it other than lock it up.
  • tonye_n
    tonye_n Posts: 832
    lemoncurd wrote:
    You don't need to do anything to it other than lock it up.

Yep. Lock it up good and proper. D-Lock round from and rear wheel. Then long cable lock round front wheel and through the rear wheel.
    Then also use a proper bike cover such as Topeak Bike Cover. http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/product/5/ ... -bike.html
    These will wrap around the frame, bars and wheels to give proper tight coverage.

If you do not use the bike at all over the proper winter period, then make sure that you let it spend at leat 12 hours at room temp before next use.
    I have found that the grease in the headset, bb cups and such like can freeze up in winter. The rest of the frame and bike should be ok.
  • You can buy small bike sheds and save some money if you don't have any space in your garden shed (or don't have one) which are pretty good and will keep your bike secure and free from rust and.

I have a bike shed, they don't have windows which is a bonus as it stops unwelcome visiters being able to see what's inside - bought a half decent lock for it which does the job. I got mine from a company called buysheds direct -http://www.buyshedsdirect.co.uk/bicycle-storage/ - they also do small sheds that would work pretty well.

Otherwise check out B&Q or homebase, although online retailers seem to offer better prices
  • Make sure you lock it to something secure or sink an anchor beneath the shed (i.e. a big lump of concrete with a loop through which you can feed the chain) . I have my main bike in a metal shed and have it locked with a motorbike security chain to a concrete beam I made up especially. Also reinforcing the door and replacing the screws with coach bolts will stop people unscrewing the hinges or padlock casp.