Cross Tyres

maveco
maveco Posts: 67
edited December 2011 in Road beginners
Not sure if this is the right place to post this question, but currently running Conti Cyclocross Race Tyres, 700x35mm. Two front wheel slip crashes and two punctures in 5 weeks, mind you the first puncture was a sharp rock would have stopped anything.

Any recommendations on great CX tyres?

Thanks

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Are you using them on the road ? Cos they're crap on road - no wonder you're slipping - theres less rubber in contact with the road.

I like the Schwalbe Marathon tyres - sturdy as anything - a bit heavy on the road, but you'll not flat, and they can go offroad too.
  • maveco
    Am using them off-road and on my daily commute. First time I slipped on wet muddy cobbles by the river, and then on wet leaves. They seem fine on the roads. Just wondered if there was a preferred Cross tyre.

I kind of wanted an all round commute/winter/pub bike so got a Genesis Day One Cross. Great bike, and love the cross tyres as there are tons of great trails and muddy tracks to ride down, I don't like mountain bikes.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    They're a knobbly tyre - so good in mud - but nobody uses knobblies on roads as the raised profile simply means less rubber in contact with the ground and less grip.

Cobbles are tricky - but look at what the pros use for Paris Roubaix - smooth tyres to increase the grip.

How much road versus trail do you do ? If its mainly muddy trails then you've got the right tyres, if its mainly road I'd think of getting the Marathons. A slip on roads usually ends worse than a slip in mud.
  • Pseudonym
    Pseudonym Posts: 1,032
    nothing will grip on wet rocks or wet leaves - I would just stick to the tyres you have and watch where you're going.. ;)
  • maveco
    Thanks for the advice - will check out the Marathon Tyres. I really like the practicality of the CX tyres, as I do quite a bt of off-road. I just wondered if there was a CX tyre held in high regard

cheers
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    I've just put Kenda Small Block Eight's (32mm) on my Singlecross, and they seem pretty good. Grip quite well on roads, pick up speed ok and offer a bit more grip in the dirt than slicks. Many say these are really intended for dry conditions though, so maybe i'm missing something. They're the Dual Tread compound, folding version and I like 'em :) They're getting a lot of use on roads and dirt at the moment, as the Singlecross has become winter bike of choice, and I sometimes link together road bits with byways....
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    Marathons are the answer on road - they're like tank tracks in this weather. Downside is getting them off and on. You need a riding buddy to help or a heavy duty zip tie and two sturdy tyre levers. Otherwise you can feel confident around hedgerows or closed-off Etape Caledonia roads after Mr Angry has struck.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Most CX tyres are designed for offroad use and few have decent puncture protection as it reduces the suppleness which helps with grip in soft conditions. If you want something more durable look at a trekking tyre like a Schwalbe Landcruiser or one of the Marathon series.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..