Rear derailleur problems... kids bike

PaulC7
PaulC7 Posts: 112
edited December 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I've been trying to adjust the rear derailleur on my lads (7) Vertigo Etna but having problems getting it to change down a gear and also to have the gear shifter not too tight that he cant change gear.

I get can get it to change up the gears correctly but the barrel adjuster is most of the way out, if i adjust the barrel i can get it to change down the gears but it will miss one out usually gear 3 with 1 being the highest but then of course if wont change up correctly... i cant seem to find any middle ground.

Also the rear cassette has a quiet grinding noise coming from it sometimes... now being a young lad who doesnt really know how to look after his property as he should means that his bike has taken a good few knocks either by crashing, falling over or by being dropped.

So im wondering has he damaged it so a new derailleur and cassette is needed or is it me... i've spent the day adjusting my own and my partners bikes without problems.

8c89ba973b2e12fdab94cb898aec7f48481261d7.jpg

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sounds like time for new cables.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • PaulC7
    Something as simple as that?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    It normally is.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • PaulC7
    Ok then... off to Halfords tommorow then.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Nooooo, Wilkinsons do gear cable inners for 79p, much cheaper (and same quality) as Halfords......

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • PaulC7
    Well as i said off to Halfords i went and a new cable was bought... would of gone to Wilkinsons but Best Buy are next to Halfords and their closing down so went to have a look at the bargains they had.

Got home and fitted new cable seems to of done the trick... after a lot of tinkering the gears are easy to shift and they also change up ok and down a little hesitant... im happy with it and he will is too.

The smile on his face was great cause yesterday i told him it was broke so we would be getting him a smaller fixed gear bike with stabilisers that way he wouldnt fall off it and he had no gears to break... so he wasnt to happy.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    When he stabs you in the middle of the night you know why.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools