Can't be true, only cyclists dope

Comments

• andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,173
    Shame if true, as he was voted National League MVP...

However, if true, only a 50 game ban.....are the MLB having a laugh? That's less than a third of a season....what's wrong with a good 2 year ban??
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    I personally think the reason why Cycling has got such a high profile in Doping is due the deaths whilst using EPO. The deaths went beyond a threshold where it was becoming a legal matter instead of the usual sporting fraud.
    Most other sports dabble with doping products as in any sport, you get nothing for losing.
    People inside sport are the same people outside sport and drugs are used frequently in people's Lounges as well as in the sporting arena. You can't be effective in anti doping in sports in the same way as people who abuse drugs at home.

-Jerry
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • The Mitchell report http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitchell_Report from 2007 was an extensive investigation on drug use in baseball, Jose Canseco, a former baseball player has written books on doping in baseball, Barry Bonds problems with Balco and so on, this is the tip of the iceberg, baseball has for some time been known to harbour much substance abuse. The surprise here is probably that they caught this Braun guy. His team, Milwaukee did real well this past year.
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    AndyRAC wrote:
    Shame if true, as he was voted National League MVP...

However, if true, only a 50 game ban.....are the MLB having a laugh? That's less than a third of a season....what's wrong with a good 2 year ban??

A shame maybe but certainly not a surprise. Sadly.
  • There is a precedent for these being the standard penalties in baseball. I believe another big name player caught in the last 5 years was Manny Fernandez and he was given something like a 70 game ban as well, maybe as low as 50 games.
  • There is a precedent for these being the standard penalties in baseball. I believe another big name player caught in the last 5 years was Manny Fernandez and he was given something like a 70 game ban as well, maybe as low as 50 games.
    Manny Ramirez. He's been done twice in the last few years, but MLB, like other US sports, doesn't seem all that bothered about doping. The standard penalties in the new "tough" regulations are 50 games for a first offence, 100 for a second, and a life ban for a third.

Seeing how lax the testing is, and how many players have confessed to being juiced to the eyeballs without returning a positive, you've got to wonder how Ramirez failed 2 tests in 3 years. I suppose that's just "Manny being Manny" (Google it)
    N00b commuter with delusions of competence

FCN 11 - If you scalp me, do I not bleed?