TACX Satori/Swing cable replacement guide

succis
succis Posts: 5
edited January 2013 in Workshop
After five years of use my old Tacx swing cable got rusty and went broken. I couln't find any advice how to replace it. Here's a bit lenghty :) guide to DIY mechanics.

DIY Tacx Swing/Satori cable replacement quide

You need a pair of 13mm wrenches and an torx screwdriver, hammer and bench to hold flywheel in place when loosening /tightening bolt.
Order a replacement Complete Cable kit Swing/Satori T1467.51 Rubber pads for lever are not included, ask for them too.

Construction is simple, so no problems there. Two cautions, if you use too much force when removing flywheel you could ruin threads in axis and if you put flywheel back not correctly straight, it ends up wobbling.
1- Remove resistance unit from trainer chassis

2- Remove black plastic cover from flywheel (labeled caution hot- in it). I took mine by levering it with knife

3- Under it is an 13mm bolt. Loosen it partly. Threads are left handed, so it opens opposite direction as usual. There is an small arrow in bolt indicating thightening direction, so opposite of it. Its tight.

4- If flywheel is stuck to axis remove it by knocking it with hammer. Hold whole unit in air by holding it from fllywheel. Put something to cover axis head and bolt. Hit axis head /bolt with hammer gently, take care not to damage threads.

5- Remove spacer from axis

6- After flywheel is removed detach old cable/magnet unit. There are four torx screws, remove them. There is one small cross shaped screw on the other side, remove it too. After then just pull outwards.

7- Put new magnet/cable unit in. Spacer back in axis, flat end towards flywheel.

8- Thighten flywheels bolt, I think that is enough to hold it in place. Put plastic covers back in place.

9- Put resistance unit back in trainer

10- Thats about it. Back in training. :wink:

Added some pics ...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/71888177@N ... 492050995/

Comments

• Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    Interesting to see inside the unit. Looks like the magnet stays at the same distance from the flywheel at all times, and it moves from the centre to the outside of the flywheel when you change resistance. Obviously the further outwards it moves, the more 'leverage' it has on the wheel... a bit like disc brakes vs. rim brakes.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • aidomc
    aidomc Posts: 1
    I have experienced the same problem after less than 1 year of use. Unable to get the flywheel off though despite hitting the bolt while holding it as you describe. Just wondering if thers another method or am I missing something.
  • succis
    succis Posts: 5
    Hi,
    My flywheel was really tight. If I remember right, axis is cone-shaped and fastens really tight when bolt is closed. Try other methods, hold unit in hand and knock flywheel gently, I found that hard because it can spin freely.

If your unit is that new I guess guarantee would take care of it. Ask for an replacement.