upgrade or buy better bike

lip88
lip88 Posts: 6
edited December 2011 in MTB beginners
Hi new here got myself a diamondback peak hd early this year and while its been a good bike to get into the sport on i feel as though im starting to reach the limits of the forks. Would it be worthwhile changing the forks for something better or just buying a better bike? Iv also been considering a set of spds but rather confused as to what will fit. any help much appreciated
cheers lip

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Link or details of spec would help.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • lip88
    Heres a link with the spec. im aware its a fairly basic setup which is mainly the reason i bought it but its been a decent start off for me and handled quite a lot of abuse over the trails in cannock chase i did expect it to start giving up on me tbh as didnt expect to be over there as much as i have been.
    http://m.hotukdeals.com/deals/diamondba ... arded=true
  • Forget SPDs.

Does it all still work?

Do you want a better bike to suit your new needs?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    On One have some Recon Gold for around £200. The rest I'd leave until it needs replacing.

Don't like SPD's, decent flats are worth the money.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • lip88
    Forget SPDs.

Does it all still work?

Do you want a better bike to suit your new needs?
    the pedals aren't exactly bad as it is haven't had a bad slip on them that i can remember of.
    and yes all still seems to work fine to me i have took care of it really making sure everything always engages as it should kept it clean after every session and well oiled.
    the only parts i feel are starting to let it down or im starting to push the limits of are the forks and tires.
    tires are a simple fix but its the forks that worry me as to what would fit and what would work with the bike without ruining the geometry, am i right in saying i need to be looking at the same sort of travel in a new fork so as not to do this?
  • Sounds like new tires and a new fork is what you're looking for if eeverything else is working - just replace as it breaks.

Yep same travel (or crown axel length) to keep geo as is. I think those ones CD says to could be worth a look.
  • lip88
    cooldad wrote:
    On One have some Recon Gold for around £200. The rest I'd leave until it needs replacing.

Don't like SPD's, decent flats are worth the money.
    i have searched for this but i cant seem to find them do you have a link mate please?
  • I do believe these:

RockShox Recon Gold RL Solo Air 100mm Fork With Poplock
    Under forks on the On One site.
  • lip88
    I do believe these:

RockShox Recon Gold RL Solo Air 100mm Fork With Poplock
    Under forks on the On One site.
    ah right i found those ones then lol cheers guys much appreciated 8)