What to put in a PM?

Oddshapedhead95
Oddshapedhead95 Posts: 28
edited December 2011 in Road beginners
Hi, a really nooby question for you'se all. I've been looking at the classifieds on the forum recently and seen some good bits of kit at decent prices. The only problem is, I've been put off when it comes to PM'ing the seller to stop myself from looking like a muppet- what do you write in the PM?
Thanks in advance :D

Comments

• Zoomer37
    Zoomer37 Posts: 725
    edited December 2011
    How about something like "Hey, seen you have some kit for sale. Very interested. Can pay with cash or we could meet up for some sexy fun times. Call me?"
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    I'll give you a fiver, I know I know I'm too kind.
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    Is this a serious question??!
  • Secteur wrote:
    Is this a serious question??!

No, can you ask the mods to delete the thread?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • markmod
    markmod Posts: 501
    I find the PM I normally write works-

"Hello my dear fellow, how are you on this fine day? I would like to enquire about the availability of the exquisite *** replace this with item name*** you are kindly offering for sale from your extensive and lovingly cared for collection.

How many of my hard earned sheckles would one consider a fair trade in barter for your afore mentioned charming cycling item. Please reply using your fastest carrier pigeon if you will, and perhaps we could arrange for my private investment bank to facilitate a transfer from my offshore account to a preferred money depository of your choice"

Needless to say I have so far been unable to but very little from the classified section here... Lord knows why though....
  • anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    Honestly, do you have an issue with speaking to people you've never spoken to before?

Just say hi, write your question, and say ta at the end.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    'Hi, my name is John Smith and I would like to send you some money in exchange for the xxxx that you have advertised.

'Unfortunately my funds are frozen in a Swiss bank account; I can release the funds in the account but the fee is $1000, of which I have only half. If you send me $500 then I will be able to release my funds and pay you the full asking price for xxxx. I will electronically transfer the monies so please also include your full account number and sort code.'

Howzat?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Irony being you have made yourself into a muppet shaped object by posting this rather than keepin inside a pm.
    Do NOT pm me please btw
    My pen won't write on the screen
  • Pigtail
    Pigtail Posts: 424
    I think you're being a bit hard on the OP guys. There is something about joining a forum where there appears to be unwritten rules that can be difficult for newcomers to negotiate. Its also possible to overthink it and tie yourself in knots about getting it wrong.

I've never bought anything from the ads here, but would say something like:

Hi

I'm interested in your ................ Can you tell me a bit more detail about it, and then ask any questions not clear from the ad (year, colour, location, wear etc.)
    Give preferred contact means mobile, email etc.
    Be very clear early on if you want to negotiate on price. "That's a bit more than I'm willing to pay, would you be prepared to go to....?" That way the person doesn't need to waste lots of time replying to you and then realise you have no intention of paying what he wants for it.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    I shouldn't worry; three quarters of internet users are illiterate, so as long as you're unambiguous, polite and ask the questions for which you want the answers you shouldn't get into difficulty.

Mind you, if you use my earlier method you might actually make a bit of money. Worth thinking about ;-).
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • furrag
    furrag Posts: 481
    Good netiquette to introduce yourself; "Hi 16/m/stockport u????"

Should be one less person to compete with over on the classifieds forum.
  • Made myself look a bit of a tit but anyway, at least I now know what to put in a pm ;) Thanks for the replies, most of them were really appreciated :)