2012 TdF

TMR
TMR Posts: 3,986
edited January 2012 in Pro race
I know the 2012 TdF is a way off yet, but I was wondering if any of you were planning to go over and watch it next year? We went for 2 weeks this year for the Brittany/Normandy stages, but next year I really fancy a trip to the Pyrenees/Alps. I've never been to a mountain stage and think it would be a lot better, in so much as you'd see more of the riders because they aren't whizzing past at 30 MPH ;)

Not sure where we'll stay, but I'd be grateful for some suggestions as to which mountain stage is likely to be the best to watch from a spectators POV?

TIA.

Comments

• frosty99
    frosty99 Posts: 115
    Hi mad rapper,
    I'm going to be in the pyrenees with friends for the stages down there. Will be cycling and camping around, our plan is stay just outside Pau on the 14th, watch the finish of the stage into Pau on the 15th (flat, hopefully Cav will bring it home), then after the stage we are getting the train to Lourdes then cycling from Lourdes to Argeles- Gazost and camping there for three days. The 16th is a rest day so we will do a few climbs nearby(soulour/aubisque). 17th is the first pyrenean? stage so we will probs climb the tourmalet and watch them either up the tourmalet or somewhere down the otherside. Havnt decided whether to watch the second mountain stage or not yet but as we're in the neighbourhood it would seem silly not to!
    Frsty
  • huret
    huret Posts: 62
    A lot of snow on the Madeleine at the moment 8)

2hsagki.jpg
    Savoie between the Glandon and the Madeleine.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Is that a guinea pig hutch in the background ?

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • If your looking for ideas, check these people out...

http://www.sportstoursinternational.co. ... -de-France

Not suggesting you go with them, although you could if you wanted to, but might help with some ideas?
  • huret
    huret Posts: 62
    In fact if you watch the Tour on a mountain, they're all pretty much the same, if you're near the top of the last climb of any Stage you get to pick out the individual riders as they struggle past.
    So, pick one where the previous or next Stage doesn't involve too much distance, to make the logistics easier in seeing more of the race.
    Savoie between the Glandon and the Madeleine.