do it up or bin it?

75-DG
75-DG Posts: 3
edited December 2011 in Road beginners
just aquired and old 12 speed raliegh record sprint to start cycling again, is it worth upgrading parts wheels gears etc or is my money better spent on a new bike.

Comments

• MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Clean and lube it, then ride it until you've got enough cash for a new bike, I wouldn't spend money on new kit for it, unless you particularly want to restore it ?
    Stick it on ebay, loads of people are into the retrobike scene. Someone will buy it.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    By all means get it roadworthy but avoid the temptation to buy new parts in the belief that you'll get some return on your investment - it'll still be a 25 year-old bike with a few new bits. Retrobike is a good place if you're looking for replacement parts at reasonable prices. The Record Sprint wasn't anything special so doesn't hold any intrinsic value except sentimental for former owners.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Tyres, tubes, brake blocks, cables and bar tape are the only things I'd consider replacing to get it roadworthy. Money down the pan after that.

Or an expensive period restoration project, depending on your inclination.
  • I would suggest: new tubes, tyres, cables and brakeblocks, and use it.

or shove it on ebay...
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Alternatively, when you're done with it, find a local bike charity/co-op and donate it.
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Call it your winter bike. This then means of course that you need a fancy "summer" bike and is all the justification needed for getting past "er indoors" with your spending plans!! :D
  • Of course, especially this time of year, there is always the trainer. If you can get it to a good enough state put it on the trainer and use it indoors for the next three months. Once spring comes you can then decide, do up or sell.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    That's the 80s 501 main tubed black and gold thing, isn't it? I'd go along with advice here - thrash it, mebbe put second hand parts on but frame is really nothing special - cheap bike when new

However, as also mentioned above, no doubt some muppet who thinks anything old and steel = fantastic will buy it off E-bay for silly money.

Source: keen cyclist in 80s, owner of old steel bike (but full 531 ;))

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • 75-DG
    75-DG Posts: 3
    Thanks for the advice i kind a thought as much. I'd best get earning the brownie points.
  • I'd definitely do it up with the basics to make sure that it's roadworthy as it could make a good second bike. When I got back into cycling I did buy a new bike, but also started doing up my old bike - as I split my time between different ends of the UK. This way I have a bike to go about on when up north and don't have to worry about carting my other bike on a 1000 mile round trip every so often. As an added bonus, doing up an old bike will also help give you a bit of confidence to do regular bike maintenance jobs - thus saving you money and making you a bit more self-reliant.

Worth it, IMO.
  • Teece
    Teece Posts: 138
    I bet those fixie kids would go mad for it. I'd flog it.
  • My Record Sprint gave up the ghost last year, front wheel buckled beyond repair, generally just worn down to the ground. I replaced the chain, tyres and bar tape originally, but glad i didn't do anything else to it. Have toyed with the idea of using the frame to create a light, low componant hill climb bike for next October, but it will probably cost me too much, and before anyone says, the frame is actually pretty light!

If anyone wants a Record Sprint frame, PM me! :wink:

PS. If you need new wheel's you may have to coldset the frame, odd sizing!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Teece wrote:
    I bet those fixie kids would go mad for it. I'd flog it.

OP might not be in London :wink:

(outside London folk treat old frames with respect! Mostly)
    Faster than a tent.......
  • rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    I did up an old steel bike I got off ebay and used it as a tourer. Did Doncaster-Whitstable and London-Paris on it.

Lots of fun as a project and all the more satisfying to get to the end on such an elderly machine.