Torque wrench

nels
nels Posts: 250
edited December 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,

can anyone advise on what range NM i should be needing from a torque wrench for the majority of home mechanic activities. ?

thanks in advance
Nels
Nels

Trek Fuel EX9
Giant Defy1
Rockhopper SL Expert

Comments

• 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    I use one that goes to 25NM I find its the smaller torque, i.e stem bolts that you always over do and snap.

Anything over 25NM I can usually get a feel for.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • I have 2 - Pedro's beasties...one got to 18nm and the other goes to 32nm (I think)...which seems to cover everything I need them for until I got my new bike...and my crankset needs tweaked to 45Nm (I think)...anyway, at that sort of tightness, I just wait for my knuckles to almost turn white and I stop!
    The Quest for Singletrack is Endless...
  • Neal_
    Neal_ Posts: 477
    5 - 25NM should cover most things on a bike, anything over that is just efin tight ;)

B&Q do one for £25

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?a ... egories%3C{9372016}/categories%3C{9372052}/categories%3C{9822022}/specificationsProductType=handtools/specificationsSpecificProductType=ratchet___wrenches
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Small stuff, the small torque wrench. Big stuff, the big torque wrench. Simple :P

i.e. small things like rotor bolts, calliper bolts, stem bolts, anything screwed to the handlebars. Basically little bolts in the main. Mostly about 5 to 10Nm.

Big stuff - cassette lockring, cranks, pedals, BB. These can all be in the 40Nm+ range.

But up to you whether you feel you need them or can be confident in your own force and know how tight stuff should go. I just like to be sure I'm doing stuff up enough and not too much that it won't come off again or break.

Mainly I prefer the big wrench. Small stuff I can do it without, but doing up cranks and stuff I'm always surprised how far I have to go and without I'd probably not do it up enough and something might come undone.

Thing to watch is with the socket types, the high torque wrench is not accurate at the bottom end, so you need the small wrench too. Also they're not so accurate with opposite threaded stuff.
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    Mainly I prefer the big wrench. Small stuff I can do it without, but doing up cranks and stuff I'm always surprised how far I have to go and without I'd probably not do it up enough and something might come undone.

true was shocked when i did the bb on my cough cough scott shhhhhhhhhhhh road bike :oops: just how high and how much force the 50-65 nm was... i only got a big torque wrench it only goes as low as 20 nm. need to get a smaller one.. but need to get a job first to afford it... unless the jobcentre will buy me one, as i'm unemployed,,