Bottom Bracket Help

ckz102
ckz102 Posts: 18
edited December 2011 in Workshop
Hi,

I've got a 2002 Cannondale R3000si. It's pretty old, but I'm gradually building up some bits to bring up to date.

Its got a Cartridge Bottombracket (axel bearing all in one). I was hoping to get a hollowtech fitted, is it even possible to replace a cartridge bracket with the hollowtech? (I understand I need to buy a new crackset to fir this if its possible).

I look forward to any help you might be able to give me! :?

Chris

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Yes but do get the BB shell faced before fitting the new cups.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Hi,

Yes there is no problem swapping the square taper out for a Hollowtech style BB. As the previous chap stated make sure the BB shell is faced properly.
  • b16 b3n
    b16 b3n Posts: 301
    that will be a doddle to change. hollowtech bb are cheap too! As previous posts state, make sure you face the BB shell. :D
    " GET BACK CROC "
  • ckz102 wrote:
    Hi,

I've got a 2002 Cannondale R3000si. It's pretty old, but I'm gradually building up some bits to bring up to date.

Its got a Cartridge Bottombracket (axel bearing all in one). I was hoping to get a hollowtech fitted, is it even possible to replace a cartridge bracket with the hollowtech? (I understand I need to buy a new crackset to fir this if its possible).

I look forward to any help you might be able to give me! :?

Chris

Pretty old? It would be the newest in my fleet... the conversion you mention won't bring any advantage, but it will allow you to have an easier life when it comes to purchase spares. Conversion is straightforward and assuming the frame was faced in the first place, there is no need to face it again... however, if you leave the job to a bike shop, make sure they check it
    left the forum March 2023