Modifying steel forks

DrKJM
DrKJM Posts: 271
edited December 2011 in Workshop
Hi,

I have an old (1981) steel framed road bike which I stripped down ready to respray and rebuild after buying a more modern bike at Easter. The forks have a large boss on the right hand side with a thread in it which used to have a right angled bracket on that I had one of those old 2xD cell lamps on. How feasible would it be to hacksaw this off and make good the fork (for someone without my full set of 10 thumbs, and a working knowledge of welding torches, obviously)? Or would it be better (cheaper or SOOO much safer the expense is not worth considering) to buy a new set of threaded forks?

Thanks in advance,

Kevin

Comments

• The boss will almost certainly be brazed onto the fork so it can be cut off and the fork filed smooth. Someone with a brazing torch could unbraze it but there is a danger of overheating the fork, changing the characteristics of the metal and making it dangerous. Having said that, if its a Reynolds 531 fork they were very strong.

Anyway, why not leave it on?
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    As above - should be very easy and a lot of fun if you take the angry grinder to it. There's something very satisfying about making big showers of sparks. Us a file to finish off though as the forks arent likely to be hugely thick grade steel.
  • DrKJM
    Thanks for the info. Will take a look in the holidays. Sounds fun
  • DrKJM wrote:

There's a high risk of ending up with something ugly... leave it, it's actually quite a pretty feature... make use of it, find some nice steel related decal to decorate it or similar
    left the forum March 2023
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    DrKJM wrote:

There's a high risk of ending up with something ugly... leave it, it's actually quite a pretty feature... make use of it, find some nice steel related decal to decorate it or similar

Or even put the bracket on it! Either way, leave it; it's a period feature - would you panel over the doors in a Victorian house? :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    fit a bottle opener to it.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • DrKJM
    If i could find a light that would go on the bracket leaving it would be fine. It just looks sort of unnecessary otherwise.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    DrKJM wrote:
    If i could find a light that would go on the bracket leaving it would be fine. It just looks sort of unnecessary otherwise.

Someone needs to make a replica 80s EverReady front light that's about the size of a Smart Half Watt (or at least small enough that it can mount on these brackets) - wouldn't that be so cool! :D
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Rolf F wrote:
    DrKJM wrote:

Someone needs to make a replica 80s EverReady front light that's about the size of a Smart Half Watt (or at least small enough that it can mount on these brackets) - wouldn't that be so cool! :D

No... :roll:
    Only joshing, but no...not on my bike anyway :D
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    I hacksawed one of these off once, long ago - go gently, use only hand tools, and you'll be fine. Sandpaper rather than a file for finishing off and there should be no sign it was ever there.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er