Garmin Vector or new mountain bike.

golfergmc
golfergmc Posts: 426
edited November 2011 in Road buying advice
I have been considering getting the Garmin Vector power meter system when it comes out but would also like to get a full suspension mountain bike for a bit of fun.
Would the vector be of any benefit to your average cyclist, no racing, couple 20 milers per week in the summer, longer rides at the weekend and a lot of turbo training in the winter.
Mountain bike would be full suspension for getting out at the weekends to the local trail when the weather is bad and a few nights with the kids messing about.
Help as I cant decide.
Cervelo S5 Team 2012
Scott Addict R2 2010
Specialized Rockhopper Comp SL 2010
Kona Tanuki Supreme

Comments

• Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    edited November 2011
    £1,000+ for a power meter for someone who by their own admission wont be racing??

How about a 2nd hand Tacx Fortius that will be much more enjoyable to ride than your current turbo trainer unless you already have a Virtual Reality trainer that also shows you your power output, and spend the balance on a nice 2nd hand Full Sus mountain bike??
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    Have you got a HR Monitor? Do you feel like you've realised its potential?

I voted for a full susser.
  • I have a hrm and prob not realised its potential but like the idea of a power meter as when i`m training in say zone 3 for an hour I feel as I have to decrease the effort I put in towards the end as if I don`t my heart rate will stray in to zone 4 so I would prefer to train at a certain power level for the hour to keep my effort constant.
    Cervelo S5 Team 2012
    Scott Addict R2 2010
    Specialized Rockhopper Comp SL 2010
    Kona Tanuki Supreme
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    If the choice was a good new bike to fill a niche i dont have filled or something to add on to an existing bike...then i'd go for a new bike every time.

The vector would be a good training aid (but at the same time as saying that i dont really see the point in getting a cutting edge training aid at significant expense if you dont race) but a new bike would be alot more fun and better value for money.