Garmin 800, enlighten me!

graememacd
graememacd Posts: 386
edited December 2011 in Road buying advice
I was originally looking at getting a Bryton 50 but after looking more at the Garmin 800 i think it could be worth the extra money. the only problem is, which bundle to buy?? I have looked on wiggle and they have various bundles available but they aren't clear what each one does.
they have the performance and navigation bundle which at £400 is probably a little over my budget.
Then there's the performance bundle or discoverer bundle both at £350 which i can afford. can you also do navigation no these two bundles and do you get the city maps with both or are they extra?

Comments

• bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    you can get performance and navi bundle for £354 from amazon at the moment - go4it! enjoy
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • Or get the device and mapping separately. £253 for the 800 from Handtec, then depending which mapping you want, get that. For example City Navigator UK can be had for about £25. If you only ride on road, I would not bother with the OS mapping. I have it, and find it too cluttered for road use. But whatever, Get one!

http://garstangcyclingclub.net
  • So were Handtec out of stock?

http://garstangcyclingclub.net
  • The performance bundle gives you cadence and heart rate sensors (and speed from rear wheel), but no extra maps.
    The £400 bundle will be all you ever need (if you do not go off road), and gives every road in Europe, not just the UK.
    If you can stretch a little now it will save you money (and heartache) in the long run, as you will pine for the sensors and/or map until you finally buy them at a premium
    Giant Defy Advanced Pro 1
  • careful
    careful Posts: 720
    I would not bother with the OS mapping. I have it, and find it too cluttered for road use
    +1
    You might also consider European City Navigator separately.

As regards the performance bundle, depends on your riding intentions. Personally I found measuring cadence was a distraction that tended to spoil my ride. Heartrate is more useful for training if you are planning a scientific approach using zones etc. Many on here will find these add-ons useful, others probably not. Either way, the 800 together with one of the city navigator maps is worthwhile as a navigation aid and a way of recording just about all you could want about your rides.
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    search the torrents for maps....
  • richh
    richh Posts: 187
    Just get the base pack without maps and download the free OpenStreetMaps. Works perfectly well for me.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    I got the performance pack and dowloaded osm maps for free, pukka and £309 all in from handtec with next day delivery, maps are as good as the garmin ones so far (riding buddy has the garmin maps).

Got it on the wednesday, was navigating a 70 mile sportive on the sunday, not hard to use at all.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    prawny wrote:
    I got the performance pack and dowloaded osm maps for free, pukka and £309 all in from handtec with next day delivery, maps are as good as the garmin ones so far (riding buddy has the garmin maps).

In many ways the OSM maps are better - they're updated, include bike paths etc.

I bought my 800 with the Garmin City Navigator maps - but, I wouldn't have a problem recommending not doing so and using OSM.