Carbon/Alloy Rims - Switching Brake Pads

Sammyw23
Sammyw23 Posts: 627
edited November 2011 in Workshop
Just a quick one folks - does anyone regularly switch between carbon/alloy rimmed wheels and consequently switch brake pads? Is it loads of hassle or something you can easily do on a saturday morning before heading out on a ride?

Am considering some aero carbon wheels but want to keep my Ksyrium Elites for windy days (mainly the front wheel) so that would mean switching the pads each time I changed the wheel over which wouldn't be that often but nonetheless if its loads of hassle I may reconsider.

Thanks

p.s. Yes I should probably know the answer to this basic maintainence question but I am more concerned if there is any considerations to regularly switching pads back and forth. Ta
Cervelo P3
Bianchi Infinito
Cannondale CAAD10

Comments

• amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    It takes seconds. I use carbon wheels for racing through the summer and switch to alloy rims for training rides. I have Planet X brakes and just switch the pads (not the holders). Anyone could do it....
    More problems but still living....
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    As above - the only thing you have to watch out for is chewing up the little safety screws - so long as you don't do them up too tight you'll be fine.

Anyway, dependant on how aero you go, you may find that you'll be fine in all conditions (and the more you use them the less jittery you'll beif it gets blowy).
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I have two sets of holders and pads. I run tubs on my race wheels that need the pads adjusted anyway, so it only takes a little longer to swap the whole thing.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..