New Bike

Pru
Pru Posts: 53
edited November 2011 in Road buying advice
I was hit by a car on friday and now I'm looking for something to replace my Trek 2nd District. I'm looking for something with gears as originally I only bought it for commuting, I now like to cycle long distances at weekends and before work (weather permitting). Would really like to join a club and maybe get into racing at some point too.

I'm looking at around the £1000 mark but am willing to pay more if it's worth it. What I've been looking at so far is:

BMC Street Racer SR02 2011 Road Bike £999.99 - Evans Cycles
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bmc ... query=sr02

Planet X Team Alu Red Road Bike - £999
http://planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CBPXSLA ... _road_bike

Planet X RT-57 SRAM Red Road Bike - £1599
http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CBP ... _rt_57_red

I love the sound of the SRAM groupset so that edges me away from the BMC, but it's such a pretty bike. The Planet X Team Alu looks almost perfect on paper, but that hideous color is really hurting it's chances. I'm tempted to go for the RT-57 as it's an amazing looking bike and it's seems a fantastic deal, I'm just a little worried about the carbon frame as I've heard so many horror stories.

I've also looked at Ribble but what they had didn't quite match up to the PX Alu.

EDIT: Also, is there any money to be saved in building a bike myself?

Any advice?

Comments

• no money to be saved on building it yourself unless you buy parts on ebay. Normally look at 25% increase for a build over stock.

In terms of the bikes you are looking at, I have a question. Is frame quality the main factor or is getting a mix of good and mid range groupset components the main factor? Personally Id get a better frame over groupset as the frame is the one thing Id not want to change, for me that removes planet x from the equasion.

for £800 you can have an aluminium framed, carbon fork and seatpost, 10speed shimano/microshift from Felt or for £900 you can have a felt z series with 105....nothing comes close. http://www.feltbicycles.com/United-King ... s/Z85.aspx

My shop sells felt as well as others. Im not asking you to buy from us at all, just making you aware of other options that you can find in a bike shop near you!
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Personally, I like the idea of buying the prettiest bike because when it comes to spending £1000 most of them are good. Joking aside though, I would recommend not getting too hung up about the frame material because some alu frames are good, some carbon ones are, some...oh, you get the point.

Try and think about what you are looking for and don't rush in. Most bike shops will let you trial a few so get out and about and start swinging your leg over and chatting to the folks in the shop. Most of us will just recommend what we have bought (or sometimes slate what we bought but regretted) and this is all about your choice.

Try the different groupsets because it will usually come down to personal preference of the hoods more than anything else and you can think about the age old triple/compact/standard option too (although if you are serious about wanting to race, and have the ability, then a triple can be ruled out).

I agree with Jon about the self build, as in forget it if you are not experienced as it won't save a mint (more a case of being rewarding and offer the ability to spec everything yourself).

Other bikes on the list to look at (from personal experience) might be the Cannondale CAAD10 or Spesh Allez. I also see lots of good mentions for the Cube Agree GTC, which I want to try next. You are looking in a bracket filled with options and lot's of end of year bargains so enjoy the whole thing (Oh, C+ usually bring out a Bike of the year supplement about now that covers all the options but they will only be opinions, not facts).
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    Ahhh . . . . . the £1000 bike

The market is littered with a plethora of choices in what is probably the most common budget for a new (decent) bike.

The way I see it these are the options available

1) local bike shop, go in, get some advice, choose a nice bike and get some afterservice

2) buy online, you'll get more for your money but probably best if you have some technical ability because I doubt your local shop will appreciate it if you go in and ask for the gears to be set up correctly. The choice online is huuuuuuuuuuuuge

Of the bikes you mentioned the planet x RT is a little overpriced, give it 6 months and the price is sure to drop by a few hundred ££££

Planet x alu doesn't look like great value. However the kaffenback looks good for the money

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CBP ... d_drop_bar

If you want carbon then consider ribble sportive or the planet x nanolight or something from wiggle

Depends on the type of riding you want to do

Happy shopping :D
  • Pru
    Thanks for all the replies.

So far I think I've decided against the Planet-X RT-57 and the BMC SR02. The Focus looks nice but Wiggle don't have it in my size so it'll lose some of it's charm without the discount.

I'm really liking the look of the Cube Agree GTC now, seems like a lot more thought was put into it than the Planet-X ones.

The biggest decision I have now is SRAM or Shimano I think, going to try and have a go on each at the LBS. If I decide Shimano, I'll probably be going for the Cube or the Felt, if SRAM then I have to choose between the Planet-X Alu Team and the Ribble 7005 Ultralight Racing with SRAM Apex.
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    I'm really liking the look of the Cube Agree GTC now, seems like a lot more thought was put into it than the Planet-X ones.

How did you figure that out? You sound like a marketing mans dream.
  • Pru
    Cube have used a bunch of 'technologies' that other brands have like the slight curve to the top tube, super thin seat stays and the internal cable routing which seems to mean more to me than it should. I really don't like the frame on the PX Alu, it looks boring and I despise the color. For the RT-57 though, for some reason I feel that it wont be as tough, I don't know why, I'd love to be proved wrong cos that is a gorgeous looking frame.

But anyways, I said 'seem' cos I don't know that much about bikes yet, but I'm trying.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I have two daughters that are very trying too :wink:
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    as if you're not confused enough, what about a Bianchi. You can get a 2011 105 for less than a bag of sand.

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/bianchi-via-nirone-7-alu5-compact-road-bike-id60092.html
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem