Rear Suspension.

Barracuda Bob
Barracuda Bob Posts: 168
edited January 2012 in MTB general
Looking for a second hand or possibly new 8inch rear suspension. Specifically a oil/coil with reserve. What would be the best one around?

Comments

• bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    edited November 2011
    one that suits you, fits well and does what you want it to do. look in the classifieds
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Looking for a second hand or possibly new 8inch rear suspension. Specifically a oil/coil with reserve. What would be the best one around?
    hang on here.

you offer DH training but yet you have no idea on shocks/suspension?

also what are you asking what is the best shock or the best suspension design?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Yes I do offer DH Training and all the bits and bobs and whats on the Bike, but I now the differant types of rear sus, but you have to consider the New Designed Suspension units from this Year. All I'm asking is what type of new rear sus there is on the market and the best one around.
  • PS Many thanks for the tip bennett_346. I'll never thought of looking in the Classifieds.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Bob: I think Bennett thought you were looking for a whole bike.

What do you want?

A shock?

For what?

Is 8 inch the shock length, stroke or wheel travel?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Hi Bails87, I'm specifically looking for a new or second hand 8 inch rear suspension RockShox Vanilla or similar, 2011 model. As the one I've got on my bike is doing its job but its an old model, so trying to upgrade with new Vanilla or so. Should have made it more clearer first off.
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    Hi Bails87, I'm specifically looking for a new or second hand 8 inch rear suspension RockShox Vanilla or similar, 2011 model. As the one I've got on my bike is doing its job but its an old model, so trying to upgrade with new Vanilla or so. Should have made it more clearer first off.
    the fact you want an 8" shock is not much help. you need to know the length and stroke of your current shock. once you know that then you can start looking around
  • From Eye to Eye is 7.925, stroke wise I'll have to look at the marks on it.
  • Stroke is 2.75 as sudenly remembered last night.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I would say the Rockshox Vanilla or Cane Creek Vivid would be best. A set of Fox Boxxer forks would go nicely with that set up as well
  • JonnyN
    JonnyN Posts: 181
    Fox Boxxer?!
    "Time you enjoy wasting, is not a waste of time"

"I'm too young to be too old for this shit"

Specialized FSRxc Expert 2008
    Kona Stinky 2008 (Deceased)
    Trek Scratch Air 8 2010 (Work in Progress)
  • bails87
    Foxy boxer? :wink:
    MTB/CX

• Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    JonnyN wrote:
    Fox Boxxer?!

He's being scarcastic....see the OP's fourth post in this thred...he offers DH training ? but doesn't know his arse from his elbow when it comes to bikes are accociated parts...
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • Pudseyp
    Yes I do offer DH Training and all the bits and bobs and whats on the Bike, but I now the differant types of rear sus, but you have to consider the New Designed Suspension units from this Year. All I'm asking is what type of new rear sus there is on the market and the best one around.

You sound really knowledgeable....just what I am looking for for some DH training...I would love to see your Rockshox Vanilla susspension and how it rides..can you provide more details of your course and where you actually train people.
  • rockmonkeysc
    200mm eye to eye with a 2.75 stroke is a bit short for a DH bike. Thats what I have on my 170mm travel AM bike.
    I would really like some DH training from you, do you have a website I could laugh at?
  • Pudseyp
    Yes I do offer DH Training and all the bits and bobs and whats on the Bike, but I now the differant types of rear sus, but you have to consider the New Designed Suspension units from this Year. All I'm asking is what type of new rear sus there is on the market and the best one around.

But what qualfies you to teach ?? what certificates or affliations do you have ? looking at this your not a great downhiller are you ? to teach you need to be at the pinacle in any sport..not just be able to ride a downhill bike down hill albeit slowly...

viewtopic.php?f=10009&t=12602622&start=40

I theory I should be able to teach people to fly...as I have had two half hour sessions in the past
  • Pudseyp wrote:

But what qualfies you to teach ?? what certificates or affliations do you have ? looking at this your not a great downhiller are you ? to teach you need to be at the pinacle in any sport..not just be able to ride a downhill bike down hill albeit slowly...

I theory I should be able to teach people to fly...as I have had two half hour sessions in the past

Ten Years racing etc. People who are not at a "pinnacle" can still teach but you dont have to be an Elite to teach riders. But anyway all this is getting getting off the point of where to get a Rear Suspension replacement shock. Regarding the eye to eye and strock there are such things in 200 and so on as checked up on suspension websites.
  • bails87
    Bob: Are you sure about those measurements? Fox don't make anything that fits.

There's 8.75*2.75 and 7.875*2.25
    MTB/CX

• rockmonkeysc
    Are you 100% sure it's not a hardtail?

If you want sensible advice after making yourself look like a clueless tool try looking on the Fox/Rockshox/Cane Creek/Marzocchi/Bos/Manitou/5th Element websites & find something which fits then google for reviews.
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp wrote:

Ten Years racing etc. People who are not at a "pinnacle" can still teach but you dont have to be an Elite to teach riders. But anyway all this is getting getting off the point of where to get a Rear Suspension replacement shock. Regarding the eye to eye and strock there are such things in 200 and so on as checked up on suspension websites.

Sorry if I appeared rude, but after ten years racing and offering to teach people riding and especially DH I thought you would know that RockShox do not make Vanila shocks they are made by Fox..
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    but he teaches them on the world famous DH tracks of the midlands :wink::lol:
  • welshkev wrote:
    but he teaches them on the world famous DH tracks of the midlands :wink::lol:

I hear that the reigning champion in the region is an Australian that rides an engine powered bike with 100 trailers behing for all his kit.... all training thanks to Bob!
  • Out of interest Bob, where did you come in these races. Age is very much less of a factor in DH than most other riding, so unless you we're hard core and fubared yourself, then you were never any good and don't make much money from it now.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Let's get back to the topic.

Nice and clear:

What frame do you have? What shock is on there? What are the exact measurements? Is it letting you down? What do you want from a new shock?
  • The front nearside shock from a 1997 Vauxhall Cavalier SRi 16 valve is what your looking for Bob, it will give you 1 foot of travel and eliminate suspension Bob Bob. I would use the forks from a 2002 Honda CR 250 to match the rear travel, once you're running this set up you'll find the gnarliest of downhill runs a doddle and your students will think you're a true guru :)
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    The front nearside shock from a 1997 Vauxhall Cavalier SRi 16 valve is what your looking for Bob, it will give you 1 foot of travel and eliminate suspension Bob Bob. I would use the forks from a 2002 Honda CR 250 to match the rear travel, once you're running this set up you'll find the gnarliest of downhill runs a doddle and your students will think you're a true guru :)
    some one correct me if i'm wrong here but i pretty sure the cavalier stopped being produced (mk 3) in 1995.. :wink: :P
  • Ah but they were so popular amongst joyriders in Newcastle that Vauxhall continued making them with uprated suspension capable of doing a ton over speed bumps with a boot full of stolen sony playstations - actually I just made that up, you're right ha ha it was vectra then :)
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    Ah but they were so popular amongst joyriders in Newcastle that Vauxhall continued making them with uprated suspension capable of doing a ton over speed bumps with a boot full of stolen sony playstations - actually I just made that up, you're right ha ha it was vectra then :)

ah i thought that model was a special limmited edition scouse model.. only available in liverpool... :roll: :wink:
  • Double sure on measurements as checked my self with measuring tape. With the Rockshox and Fox I forgot to put in the "comma" inbetween the two words. Regarding the 100% I would not even touch a Hardtail doing DH or any other type of riding. Got nothing against Hardtails, ideal for alot riders but not for some.
  • Is that your professional opinion?
This discussion has been closed.