ST-6510 ULTEGRA levers triple compatible?

mcp73
mcp73 Posts: 93
edited November 2011 in Workshop
Hi all,

I currently run a standard double (53/39) but am considering investing in a triple chainset (52/39/30). I'm aware that I'll need a longer cage rear mech (the current short one struggles if I accidently go anywhere near small-small), but I wondered if any body knew whether the Ultegra ST-6510 (flightdeck compatible) levers would shift ok for a triple? I think they'll be ok as they sort of 'trim' with the current double, but any definite answer would be most appreciated!

Please excuse my ignorance, but I've not been able to find any answer to my question on the interweb!

Many thanks,

Comments

• mcp73
    I assume nobody knows then?
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    According to the tech docs it looks like it will as the table shows the 6510 running both double and triple combinations. When the levers are different for double and triple it normally differentiates. A test would be to disconnect the cable from the front mech and see how many clicks you get in each direction (should be 5 for triple). I'm working from experience of tiagra 4400 (which do both) and the associated docs not particular experience of these levers.

http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techd ... 621374.pdf
  • mcp73
    Thanks, I have scoured the Shimano docs too. I think it should be capable. I'll disconnect and check later.
    Cheers.
  • If the downshift paddles are black then they will 100% do triples.

this is the easy way to tell apart 6510 to 6500's

Simon
  • mcp73
    stokey1964 wrote:
    If the downshift paddles are black then they will 100% do triples.

this is the easy way to tell apart 6510 to 6500's

Simon

They are indeed black. Thank you Simon! Come pay day I shall invest in a long cage rear mech and a triple FD. I'm ok with my current 39-27 low gear, but there are some tougher hills (25% +) where a slightly lower gearing could help me out a little more.
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    I got away with leaving my double FD in place when I went from double to triple on my tiagra set up. The FD simply does what the lever tells it and the 'only' difference is the shape of the cage (fatter and lower on the inner side). Might be worth a try.