Carbon Fibre Forks.

simz720
simz720 Posts: 17
edited November 2011 in Workshop
I have just order some new carbon fibre forks and simply just waiting for them to arrive, I have heard in order to use these forks I have to have a special carbon fibre star nut, I just wanted to know if this was true or not, just so if I need to buy the carbon star nut I can, or whether I can just use a normal star nut. :?

Comments

• Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    The steerer tube is carbon?? If so then dont use a standard star nut - you will need an expander bung to spread the load without scratching the carbon. This sort of thing - loads around

http://www.chickencycles.co.uk/index.php?cat=4&sub=106
  • gbb
    gbb Posts: 1,240
    Carbon forks with an alloy steerer, normal star fangled nut.
    Carbon forks with carbon steerer, as WirralPaul says, use a bung. There's no shortcut, a fangled nut is not an option with carbon steerers.

Chill out, fer Christsakes....
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,548
    if the steerer is cf...

as above, use a bung

follow installation instructions carefully, depending on your stem and top cap you may need to use a short spacer, say 3mm, above the stem to get the correct clamping area on the steerer

when cutting the steerer, use a blade designed for cf, and make sure you don't split away cf at the edges of the cut, if in doubt get the lbs to do it
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Thanks for the help guys, it is an alloy steerer, I can just use a normal starnut :D
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    simz720 wrote:
    Thanks for the help guys, it is an alloy steerer, I can just use a normal starnut :D

Indeed you can. It may not bother you but the bottom end of the fork is likely to be closed so once a star nut goes in, it may not ever come back out. Hopefully never a problem though.