105 front mech 5703 - HELP ! Max rings ??

ric7481
ric7481 Posts: 103
edited December 2011 in Road buying advice
Hi,

have tried 'search' and many hits through Google - still confused........

Shimano 105 - 5703 front mech........need to run this with a 52 tooth top ring.................some sites say its fine, others, including Shimano say 50 tooth max.....If not, which front mech for sensible money will go to 52 tooth, and in the short term atleast, work with my Sora STI's.................

Can anyone confirm for me please..............have just been given an Ultegra SL 52-39-30 crankset and need to ensure I get a suitable front mech.

Also - am currently running 9 speed, and won't be able to afford going to 10 speed for a while......will the 10 speed front mech's work OK with 9 speed chains ?

many thanks

Comments

• tonye_n
    tonye_n Posts: 832
    Any ultegra front mech will work fine with 52t chain wheel and Sora shifters.
    The spacing between the chain-rings has not changed b/w the old and new versions of shimano chain sets.
    The only issue is max tooth capacity.
  • bobgfish
    bobgfish Posts: 545
    Oh Rubbish. Just brought an Ultegra 6703 chainset yesterday to use with my very new (4 rides old) 5703 front mech. Wasn't aware of this. More cash gone or fingers crossed can make the 5703 work with it. Only used the 5703 for the first time this morning too...boo hoo...