Comparing an entire range of bikes

gsvbagpuss
gsvbagpuss Posts: 272
edited November 2011 in Road buying advice
i have tried Googling but with little success....

Has anyone ever tried riding the entire range of one manufacturers bikes around the same course (with hills, flats, winding descents etc) and timed them all? So from a Synapse Sora to a Supersix Evo, get all their times to compare

Now I know this is not the only way measure the performance or a bike and is not the only criteria to go by when choosing, but I would be fascinated to see the tradeoff of extra cash against improved times. Chatting about this around the office, we reckon you would need to time a beginner, intermediate and pro doing each bike to get a feel for how the improvements affect each type of rider.

Whether Cannondale or other manufacturer would want this data out there is another matter!

Comments

• RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    "Whether Cannondale or other manufacturer would want this data out there is another matter!"

Probably not:

http://www.bmj.com/content/341/bmj.c6801
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Don't see that this could be reliably done.
    I doubt you could find anyone or anywhere to do repeatable tests. People tire and conditions change.
  • cougie wrote:
    Don't see that this could be reliably done.
    I doubt you could find anyone or anywhere to do repeatable tests. People tire and conditions change.

Likely with a power meter ... Stick to the same output and the only variable (other than slight variations in line) will be the bike/wheels/tyres etc ... Unless of course you do this test in the UK, then the weather will @rse it all up ...
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    I ve seen something similiar done on a commuter route comparing a steel touring bike and a so called Carbon Superbike and there was not a lot in it.

They do this in the MTB world all the time , comparing Hardtail , Front suspension , Full suspension Short and Long travel bikes over the same courses. It all started when Paul Lazenby won the national XC championships on a Marin Mount Vision Pro (Short travel full suss) and these tend to be the class of bikes that win.

I dont think that the Pro Peleton would be riding UCI weight legal full carbon superbikes if these were not the most efficient machine for the task.

Personally for the mortal man I dont think theres enough in it to justify the extra spend between a £1k and £8K bike.

I have a range of bikes to cover all activities that cost me about £1500 total as I built them up from frames.

Planet X Pro Carbon SL (TT'S / Sprint Tris)
    Planet X Kaffenbach (Touring Commuting and light CX)
    On One inbred MTB ( Hacking and Cross Country Mtb)

[img][/img]planetx2009002.th.jpg
    planetxkaffenbach001.th.jpg
    214q.th.jpg