Ulterga 6600 brakes seized?

dru
dru Posts: 1,341
edited November 2011 in Workshop
Hi people,

Got an issue with a second hand set of Ultegra 6600 brakes I recently purchased (first time using shimano bits so nothing to compare against)

I've installed them onto a bike but they do not seem to pivot properly and when looking at the installed caliper the right hand arm is stuck or seized in place - on both front and rear calipers when the brake levers are applied

What am I doing wrong?

There are a few grub screws and bolts etc on the calipers but don't have any instructions to 'fiddle with any confidence'

Any guidance would be great.

Cheers,

Dru

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Check your cables first before dismantling the brake. You'll need some Loctite for reassembly
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • fish156
    fish156 Posts: 496
    Dru wrote:
    There are a few grub screws and bolts etc on the calipers but don't have any instructions to 'fiddle with any confidence'
    Instructions.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Release the cable clamp and squeeze the calipers with your hand to verify that the fault lies within the caliper.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • dru
    dru Posts: 1,341
    DesWeller wrote:
    Release the cable clamp and squeeze the calipers with your hand to verify that the fault lies within the caliper.

Yup,

The seizure is definately on the caliper.

There is no movement from one side and the middle part of the three parts of the calipers.
    I will try and unseize with a can of WD40 etc and check out the instructions provided in hte earlier response.

Ta,

Dru
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    WD40 is ideal for this sort of job as the solvents will help break down any grungit in the bearings. But don't forget to run something a little heavier in there once the brake has freed off; the WD40 will not hang around for long, especially if you've no rear mudguard. Make sure you take your brake pads and wheel off before spraying the WD40 around, or you'll be making work for yourself getting it all clean again (brakes don't work too well when they're doused in oil!).
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    As it is both that are stuck, i'd suspect the previous owner may have dismantled them for cleaning and reassembled them wrong. Worth having a good look at the instructions and backing the pivot bolts off - only takes one over-tightened pivot bolt and they will lock up solid

http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techdocs/content/cycle/EV/bikecomponents/BR/EV-BR-6600-2368A_v1_m56577569830621027.pdf