bar tape

jewbs
jewbs Posts: 139
edited November 2011 in Road buying advice
I went into my lbs to get some new bar tape, they had fizik microtex and double tape in stock but i wasn`t that keen on them so would like some suggestions which bar tape to get.

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Black.
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    Why didn't you like them? But anyway, what about Specialized bar tape. Not too stretchy, good in the wet. Or look in the current C+ where they did some tests.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Fizik Microtex is good stuff - easy to clean and keeps shape well if you need to remove and reapply. Have used the Eleganza stuff, black might be OK but in red it looked a mess pretty quickly. Any of the cork type stuff without a shiny finish gets grubby pretty quick so avoid unless you want black.
  • I've got Microtex on all my bikes. Lovely stuff. The white cleans up a treat. I've tried various other types but nothing beats a bit of Fizik.
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    I hate the Fizik stuff too. I use Deda which you can normally get for 5 or 6 quid from Ribble.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Used to use the Eleganza, dark blue so not too bad dirty-wise, and very durable.

Use both Microtex and Lizard Skins now and both good. Both darker colours, tend not to go with white or lighter colours, bit like saddles for me ie contact points.
  • daveb99
    daveb99 Posts: 273
    I've just done both of my bikes with Bontrager Gel cork tape - good padding, looks good, and only £8 each. Very easy to apply.
    2012 Scott CR1 SL
    2013 Dolan Dual
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
  • yaya
    yaya Posts: 411
    Easton White cork here, going into 2nd winter and was easy to fit, cleans fairly easily and is very comfy. I think it was 6-7 quid at the time and is long enough to fit 42cm Easton wing bars
  • Supergoose
    Supergoose Posts: 1,089
    Nothing wrong with the Bontrager tape. I use Specialized Roubaix. Its got a kind of Alcantara finish like suede but it wears and washes well and gives great grip. I like it lots.
    Rock 'n' Roule
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    jewbs wrote:
    I went into my lbs to get some new bar tape, they had fizik microtex and double tape in stock but i wasn`t that keen on them so would like some suggestions which bar tape to get.
    This is a bit like saying "I went to a cafe the other day, they had mushroom pizza and hummus salad with baked potato, I didn't fancy either, what should I have for my dinner?"

What do you want in a bar tape? They are different, and people like different ones for different reasons. A lot of people think fizik microtex is great, plenty others don't. etc.
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    I like the Stella Azzurra Eleganza bar tape too - or rather I used to; but where can you buy it these days? Do they make it any more? Nobody seems to have any
  • +1 for bontrager gel - may not be the lightest, but i think it is crazy to go light here when vibration absorbtion is so fundamental to comfort
  • BigSpecs
    BigSpecs Posts: 309
    I have been looking everywhere for some Prologo team sky stuff. With the logo running through it. Everywhere sold out. Anyone got any ideas where I can get some..?
  • BigSpecs wrote:
    I have been looking everywhere for some Prologo team sky stuff. With the logo running through it. Everywhere sold out. Anyone got any ideas where I can get some..?
    I know ya can get standard prologo tape on eBay but never seen Sky tape anywhere
  • anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    I fitted some Cinelli cork gel bar tape a while back.. Fantastic.
  • fish156
    fish156 Posts: 496
    Mad Roadie wrote:
    +1 for bontrager gel - may not be the lightest.....

:shock: Holy $hit, you consider the weight of bar tape?!
  • neeb
    fish156 wrote:
    Mad Roadie wrote:
    +1 for bontrager gel - may not be the lightest.....

:shock: Holy $hit, you consider the weight of bar tape?!
    It's actually not insignificant if you're a weenie... maybe about 20g difference between one model and another. People are prepared to pay three-figure sums to save 40g with a Ti crankset axle, so 20g for (almost) free is a big deal! :wink:

Remember a light bike is the sum of many light parts - no single one makes a real difference by itself, but collectively they do. That's if you think there is any real practical difference between a 6.5kg bike and a 7.5 bike, which is debatable of course...
  • fish156
    Is there a website that has the relative weights of bar tape? Weight Weenies?

Presumably one always goes for a dump before a bike ride?
  • fish156
    neeb wrote:
    It's actually not insignificant if you're a weenie... maybe about 20g difference between one model and another.
    I'm intrigued now. 2 new rolls of Bontrager gel cork tape is 64g according to my scales. Anyone got anything lighter?

Yes, perhaps I need to get out on a Saturday night.
  • jewbs
    jewbs Posts: 139
    neeb wrote:
    jewbs wrote:
    This is a bit like saying "I went to a cafe the other day, they had mushroom pizza and hummus salad with baked potato, I didn't fancy either, what should I have for my dinner?"

What do you want in a bar tape? They are different, and people like different ones for different reasons. A lot of people think fizik microtex is great, plenty others don't. etc.

I suppose i should have written my question in a more detailed way but it was written in a hurry, I thought the microtex seemed really thin with little padding and just didn`t like the look of the double tape. i looked online at what is on offer to see a huge choice so i just thought i would ask what others favoured to use. I used cinelli cork tape on my old bike but found that started to look grubby after a while although i liked it.
    Has anyone any thoughts on 3t bar tape thought about giving that a go, although i like the look of the stella azurra
  • neeb
    jewbs wrote:
    neeb wrote:
    jewbs wrote:

I suppose i should have written my question in a more detailed way but it was written in a hurry, I thought the microtex seemed really thin with little padding and just didn`t like the look of the double tape. i looked online at what is on offer to see a huge choice so i just thought i would ask what others favoured to use. I used cinelli cork tape on my old bike but found that started to look grubby after a while although i liked it.
    Has anyone any thoughts on 3t bar tape thought about giving that a go, although i like the look of the stella azurra
    Sorry, I was in a bit of a grumpy mood last night when I wrote that.. :wink:

Yes, the microtex is thin, so it doesn't offer much shock absorption if you want that, but it gives good grip and is incredibly durable. It's also really easy to keep clean as it doesn't absorb dirt, you can just wipe it to clean it. I have some white microtex that I've reused (removed and re-wrapped on various bikes) about 5 times and probably done thousands of miles on and it's still going strong.

Most other tapes are foam or various foam/cork mixes. They will all get grubby pretty quickly unless they are black and will offer various degrees of shock absorption and sponginess. Most will only last a couple of wrappings, and some break or tear very easily to are difficult to use more than once. Generally the lighter they are the more delicate they are (e.g. the Deda tape is very light but tears incredibly easily) and the spongier they are the heavier they are (although spongy tapes vary a lot in strength). Personally I found the cinelli to offer about the best compromise in weight, robustness and feel (with a slight bias towards light weight at the expense of strength perhaps), but I don't really need a shock-absorbing tape so I'm a total microtex convert these days.
  • Hoopdriver wrote:
    I like the Stella Azzurra Eleganza bar tape too - or rather I used to; but where can you buy it these days? Do they make it any more? Nobody seems to have any

Primera Sport and GB Cycles have it according to their websites and Wiggle has it in black only.
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    Great news, that. I hadn't looked for it lately. GB was where I got my last rolls of Stella Azzurra Eleganza but they listed it as out of stock for the longest time... I just gave up. Glad to hear it is still around.