Fixed Gear Advice Required

gmb
gmb Posts: 456
edited November 2011 in Road buying advice
I'm thinking of buying an On One Pompino Fixed with drop bars etc. for winter training/commuting but need advice re. gear ratios which I don't really understand. Am I right in thinking that the lower the chain ring the easier it is and the higher the rear cog the easier it is?

I will be riding short distances (a commute of around 8 miles and training rides of around 25 miles) in an area which has rolling hills but nothing too steep or too long. I was hoping to do this at a high cadence. I was thinking of a 48/19 ratio?

Would I be better off with a 44/17?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Trying Is The First Step Towards Failure

De Rosa Milanino :-
http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab78 ... -00148.jpg

Comments

• Drfabulous0
    Drfabulous0 Posts: 1,539
    Obviously it depends massively on the gradients, it is worse going downhill in too low a gear than going uphill in too high a gear so for me I prefer about 5% higher for fixed than SS. I am running 46/16 for similar terrain as you describe. Even if you only ever use Dura-Ace, which I would recommend because they last well with a traditional BMX chain, track sprockets are so cheap that I suggest you try the bike with what comes stock then adjust 1 tooth at a time to find your ideal ratio, over time you will probably increase the gear as you build up the extra strength in your legs.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    I run a 48x19 and live in North Manchester and find that gear suitable for our terrain. For the flat I would run a 48x17 or 18. As posted, start with a 69 inch gear and then get a sprocket one less/more. You'll always find a use for a spare sprocket. Feeling a bit lethargic, put on a bigger sprocket and spin. Thereare lots of relatively inexpensive sprockets from On-One,Charlie the Bikemonger etc. Get yourself a Shimano chain-whip/lockring remover (bit pricey at about £30). It's a solid bit of kit. Also KMC single speed chains now come with a power link.
    M.Rushton
  • gmb
    Thanks for the advice.

I'm looking forward to the simplicity of it all...

By the way, do you use clipless and if so how easy is it to unclip on a fixed?

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    Everyone will give you conflicting opinions on what is the optimal gear, based on what they use. Personally I think 48x19, which gives a gear of 68" is a good start, especially if you're planning on riding over moderately hilly terrain. A gear of 72" is fine on flatter terrain, but probably a bit much for an area with hills.

I'm someone who likes a spinnier gear, and have gradually decreased the gear size I use over the years. My current ratio, which is perfect for the hills on my commute, is 47x19 which is around 67".

Clipless pedals work much the same on a fixed bike as they do on a geared bike. I've never come accidentally unclipped when riding fixed if that's what you're concerned about. One thing you have to learn quite quickly is deciding which foot your unclipping as you come to a stop, but it becomes second nature after a while.
  • gmb
    Andyp

My concern is that when I unclip at the moment I tend to freewheel while I do so. Not sure how that would work when on a fixed? I take it it's not too difficult otherwise people wouldn't use clipless?

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    It's vital to have clipless pedals or toe straps. You really don't want your feet falling off the pedals.

If you have to freewheel to unclip then it's going to be painful doing that with fixed.

Look at getting a flip flop hub so you can ease yourself in riding single speed maybe ?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    cougie wrote:
    It's vital to have clipless pedals or toe straps. You really don't want your feet falling off the pedals.

Debatable if it is vital but yes you don't want you feet accidentally coming off the pedals.

I run flats and trainers and a good front brake.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    I use Candy double sided clipless so less fannying about. Also you need your feet on the pedals as you can use your legs to brake.
    M.Rushton
  • tremayne
    tremayne Posts: 378
    General advice from someone who has been running a couple of fixed bikes for a few years now;

Avoid aluminium rear sprockets. They don't last. Dura Ace work well.

Don't worry about unclipping. Yes, it means pedalling right up to wherever you wish to stop - but it will come naturally. To start with, you'll possibly be clicking one or two out but keeping the shoes semi-engaged. After a while, you won't even be thinking about it.

Track width drivetrain is good for fashion and looks the nuts, but isn't really neccessary. I've now switched both my bikes to standard sized chain width (have played around with 8, 9, 10 speed chains) and am much happier for it; heaps lighter and significantly quieter (almost silent).

If you are going to be getting up to serious rpm coming down hills etc, don't even think about having flat pedals. The consequences of a foot slipping off a pedal aren't worth thinking about!

If your chain doesn't have a magic link - buy one!

How will 'freewheeling while you unclip work?' - it won't. Let us know you how you get on trying! (you will try - at least a few times)

for the record I'm running a 48x15 and a 52x16
  • gmb
    Thanks everyone for replying.

I think I've decided on a 48 19 initially and will see how I get on from then. As for the unclipping - should be fun if nothing else!