Quiet Turbo

mclarent
mclarent Posts: 784
edited November 2011 in Road buying advice
I'm thinking about changing my turbo. I have a powertap, so don't need anything except quietness! Any suggestions?

Oh, I have a Tacx Flow at the moment. Not super loud unless I'm hammering it, but I don't get the use out of the data stuff...
"And the Lord said unto Cain, 'where is Abel thy brother?' And he said, 'I know not: I dropped him on the climb up to the motorway bridge'."
- eccolafilosofiadelpedale

Comments

• amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    None of them are really quiet (i.e. couldn't use them in the living room with the other half watching telly kind of quiet).

In terms of feel though (and they're relatively quiet) fluid is best IMO and having used two fluid trainers I would recommend the Cycleops Fluid 2. If you've got a bigger budget though the Kurt Kinetic trainers are supposed to be the best.
    More problems but still living....
  • Tacx flow is pretty quiet unless your really giving it the beans.
    argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
    Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
    De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
    S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
    Rose pro sl disc
  • I have an Elite crono fluid that is very quiet, you get more noise from the drivetrain really.
  • hugo15
    hugo15 Posts: 1,101
    I've got a Cycleops Jet Fluid Pro. It's quiet enough for me to use in the garage early in the morning without waking the rest of the house. It's a very good turbo too.
  • Tacx Speedmatic - check a recent thread best budget turbos for my detailed comments on mine. Have now had it for another few weeks and miles and I love it - if you get resistance by the resistance settigng - and not by using your gears and so speeding up the back wheel - it stays really quite even when grinding out the tough stuff!
  • The quietest one I've ever had or seen is the Tacx Sirius. I use an I-Magic now (so the same resistance unit as your flow) and the Sirius is much quieter. It's not a subtle difference!

I've also had a Cycleops Fluid2 in the house last winter and an elite fluid one too a couple of years ago. They were both similar to the flow/i-magic. The Cycleops one was quiet when warming up but noisy when pushing on. I've also tried a Tacx Bushido which is like having a vacuum cleaner running when you're simulating a climb and the cooling fan is on - I would be divorced now if I'd kept that! The noisiest one I've ever bought was a Tacx Satori. That was silly noisy and vibrated so it went straight back.

If I needed a quiet one again (I have to train in the garage now :( ) I'd get a Sirius without thinking about it - I could train next door to my daughters bedroom at night with no problem and have a conversation without raising my voice.
  • mclarent
    mclarent Posts: 784
    Thanks guys, good advice.
    "And the Lord said unto Cain, 'where is Abel thy brother?' And he said, 'I know not: I dropped him on the climb up to the motorway bridge'."
    - eccolafilosofiadelpedale