Cannondale Synapse vs CAAD riding position differences

gsvbagpuss
gsvbagpuss Posts: 272
edited November 2011 in Road beginners
Hello all

I have read a fair few forum posts and reviews of the Cannondale Synapse vs CAAD range and the opinion is generally "The CAAD would be more racier" and "The Synapse is a more upright position".

Now, my question is - how much should I care? I want to use the bike for commuting and some races in the summer but can imagine myself doing some sportives more than crit racing so do I need the CAAD geometry? I already have a flat-bar hybrid so a "proper" racing bike for ducking low and zooming along appeals and seems to fit a gap in my bike armoury.

I am by no means an expert cycling though so I wonder if my meagre skills will really notice a huge difference in riding position?

My next stop is the LBS who stocks 'Dales and try them but I wanted to situate my awareness :)

Comments

• t5nel
    t5nel Posts: 365
    Well...

In my opinion if your back can handle the racier position for the length of time you want to ride for then just go for which you prefer. Some of this is down to your age/physiology/history. That said, if it will be an everything bike then I would err on the side of comfort

You can of course do a lot of tweaking with spacers/stems but you will always be able to get lower in the CAAD all else being equal.
    My bikes
    MTB - 1997 Kona Kula
    Hybrid - Kona Dew Deluxe
    Road - 2011 Ribble Gran Fondo, Omega Matrix Ultegra
  • wiwaxy
    wiwaxy Posts: 16
    I was in the exact same position last March. I finally decided on a Synapse after discussing it with my LBS who asked what I was going to be using it for the most. I chose the Synapse as it is more comfortable for my needs - commutes of up to 35 miles, and longer weekend rides with fellow MAMILS. At 47, I realised I was never going to win the World Championships and put comfort over speed. The Synapse is a great ride and plenty fast enough for the above circumstances. I don't regret it for a minute!
  • JimboM
    JimboM Posts: 380
    wiwaxy wrote:
    I was in the exact same position last March. I finally decided on a Synapse after discussing it with my LBS who asked what I was going to be using it for the most. I chose the Synapse as it is more comfortable for my needs - commutes of up to 35 miles, and longer weekend rides with fellow MAMILS. At 47, I realised I was never going to win the World Championships and put comfort over speed. The Synapse is a great ride and plenty fast enough for the above circumstances. I don't regret it for a minute!

+1
    Cannondale Synapse 105
    Giant FCR3
    GT Avalanche 3.0
    Canyon Nerve AM 6.0
  • JimboM wrote:
    wiwaxy wrote:

+1

And another +1 from me. Don't be fooled in to thinking the Synapse is sluggish.......it certainly is not.
  • Another thumbs up for the Synapse. I've been riding my 2011 alloy 105 for a couple of months now and I love it - no personal experience of the CAAD, but the Symapse is certainly no slouch.

Out of interest, are we talking alloy or carbon?
  • Thanks guys, great info from you all!
  • Out of interest, are we talking alloy or carbon?

Any regrets on chossing the alloy or 105?

Alloy I think for me, although need to go try a few variants. I was going to wait until the spring but the 2011 offers are soo tempting!
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    SP32-20110525-090332-2.jpg

The Synapse in action... the fact that it may be sold for a SuperSix for 2012 bears no relation to the fact that I enjoyed racing the Synapse.
  • KulaBen
    KulaBen Posts: 220
    Go for a CAAD and flip the stem?
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    I test rode both (as well as the SuperSix). There really isn't that much in it - they're both great bikes. I chose the Alloy Synapse with 105 in the end. It just felt right to me when I rode it - and I haven't regretted it for a minute. Best thing to do is swing your leg over a few and see which one you like best.
    FCN 3 / 4