Stress Echo

Ands
Ands Posts: 1,437
edited November 2011 in Road beginners
Not sure where to post this as it's not exactly related to cycling, but too serious for Cake Stop :)
Has anyone ever had a Stress Echo done? I'm having one this week and have been told (by the consultant's secretary) not to drive home afterwards as it will invalidate my insurance. When I asked if it was any more intense than a hard exercise session she didn't know but reiterated that I shouldn't drive home.

When I then looked on the internet, one website states they take you to 80% of max HR, (using 220 minus age). I can give them my max HR if they want to work off that, but either way, 80% is less than 150bpm, and I don't see any risks with driving after that. So does anyone know what exactly the 'stress' part involves?

Comments

• Cunso
    Cunso Posts: 2
    Stress Echo involves injecting adenosine to provoke a exercise state at rest while the tech scans your heart to look for wall motion changes. If you cycle that much, I expect you are going to have a clean scan. The ' you can't cycle home' is a default setting because the majority of patients that undergo this imaging have heart disease and the episode can trigger an angina event and they collapse in Gregg's / KFC.
  • Ands
    Ands Posts: 1,437
    Cunso wrote:
    Stress Echo involves injecting adenosine to provoke a exercise state at rest while the tech scans your heart to look for wall motion changes. If you cycle that much, I expect you are going to have a clean scan. The ' you can't cycle home' is a default setting because the majority of patients that undergo this imaging have heart disease and the episode can trigger an angina event and they collapse in Gregg's / KFC.
    OK, I might skip KFC on the way home then just in case. :lol:
    I'm having the treadmill stress, not the injection. I did wonder if not driving was generic advice to cater for the non-active.