Winter gear - waterproof shorts/knee warmers

The Rookie
The Rookie Posts: 27,812
edited November 2011 in MTB beginners
To keep going through winter, the lad needs some of the above, any suggestions for some functional cheap kit as he's broke right now (spent too much on the bike!)

Simon
Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.

Comments

• vmgscot
    vmgscot Posts: 120
    After a couple (Scottish) winter seasons on my Altura Attack 3/4 shorts I would thoroughly recommend them. They are not cheap perhaps but keep an eye open for those opportunistic 'weekend' sales.... I paid £45 from merlin.
    vmgscot
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    £40 for standard Altura Attacks, just bought a second pair- totally waterproof, tough as well (I did rip the last set but only after a load of proper sized crashes). Best £40 I've ever spent on bikes. The 3/4 will keep you drier and warmer- they have closure straps around the bottom so less water splashes up them- but I find them pretty annoying to wear, don't like how they feel.

I just use my knee pads as knee warmers.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    OK, Thanks guys, I use Altura and would have gone for them as well, but he's hoping for something cheaper really (if possible.....).

Knee warmers I've found lots of options for around £14 so that should be OK.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • get along to sports direct i just got some campri baselayer pants for winter for £7.99 from £22.99 really light weight and comfy,they also have base layer t shirt version for £4.99
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    altura attack3 qs are pretty good mine lasted almost 3 years and have just started to fall to bits now...

as for knee warmers go for knee pads like 661 kyle strait or evo's or any other brand that does simlar...

i never had cold knees with my 1661 or my tld tbones on....