Valvarde off-season

rick_chasey
rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
edited November 2011 in Pro race
Was thinking about the comment that Valvarde had ridden roughly 48,000km this year in training

Noticed de Cauwer on twitter worked out that, say he was riding 6 days a week all year, he'd be averaging 153km a day.

My bullsh!t reader is going off.

As an aside, how quickly can/should we expect Valvarde to get back into the groove?

You'd think he might need a season or so ala Basso, but I got the impression he was reasonably clean by the time he took the penalty.

Comments

• shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    48000K plus 3000 sit ups a day. He's been busy. He's too busy to fit in any transfusions so he must be doing it clean this time.....
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    Sketchy article that..

Maybe since he has been banned, he has just been lashing in the miles - Your looking at about 90 miles a day, 6 days a week. 1 Rest day.

Its deffo do-able but the 3000 sit ups? Who does he think he is, Chuck Norris? Maybe its 3000 a week...
    cartoon.jpg
  • Doobz wrote:
    Sketchy article that..

Maybe since he has been banned, he has just been lashing in the miles - Your looking at about 90 miles a day, 6 days a week. 1 Rest day.

Its deffo do-able but the 3000 sit ups? Who does he think he is, Chuck Norris? Maybe its 3000 a week...

The 90miles a day, 6 days is doable maths wise, but thats 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year, that isn't doable without burning out massively, he would have to take significant breaks and rest periods to sustain that daily mileage (its like riding Le Tour all year round for christs sake), which would push the daily mileage up a fair wack, im with Rick on this one, Valverde is full of sh*t.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Maybe he's been cyclo touring, earning money doing situp competitions in seedy spanish bars/freakshows.

Or, maybe he's been sitting up whilst on the bike? Dropped 3000 times a day?
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • phil s
    phil s Posts: 1,128
    Valverde is full of sh*t.

And this is news?
    -- Dirk Hofman Motorhomes --
  • rick_chasey
    phil s wrote:
    Valverde is full of sh*t.

And this is news?

It was EPO before...
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    It appears there some people in cycling who still think that more training equals better training. How retro of them.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,558
    Doobz wrote:
    Sketchy article that..

Agree, that's doable - especially for a pro rider not having to fly/bus the world over to races. If he did a couple of 250kms then the other 4 days he'd only have to be on the bike for a little over 100km.

3000 sit-ups though? Ahem... At a decent speed of 2 secs per sit up that's 1hr 40 mins of situps every day....
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • rick_chasey
    Doobz wrote:
    Sketchy article that..

Agree, that's doable - especially for a pro rider not having to fly/bus the world over to races. If he did a couple of 250kms then the other 4 days he'd only have to be on the bike for a little over 100km.

3000 sit-ups though? Ahem... At a decent speed of 2 secs per sit up that's 1hr 40 mins of situps every day....

or 30 odd minutes 3 times a day.

Not sure what value of doing an obscene amount of situps is for cycling.
  • shinyhelmut
    Doobz wrote:
    Sketchy article that...

....Its deffo do-able but the 3000 sit ups? Who does he think he is, Chuck Norris? Maybe its 3000 a week...

I'm sure Jens Voight would have no problem doing 3000 sit ups a day :lol:
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    Seems like its press-ups not sit-ups.. Big Jens would be proud.. His weight is super low at 60kg's - he will be a climbing machine,,

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... istar.html
    cartoon.jpg
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Doobz wrote:
    Seems like its press-ups not sit-ups.. Big Jens would be proud.. His weight is super low at 60kg's - he will be a climbing machine,,

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... istar.html
    Maybe, but that article is riddled with errors so I wouldn't count on it.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Doobz wrote:
    Sketchy article that..

The 90miles a day, 6 days is doable maths wise, but thats 6 days a week, 52 weeks a year, that isn't doable without burning out massively, he would have to take significant breaks and rest periods to sustain that daily mileage (its like riding Le Tour all year round for christs sake), which would push the daily mileage up a fair wack, im with Rick on this one, Valverde is full of sh*t.

Not really. Just depends how fast he was going. Get the intensity and nutrition right and I see no reason why someone who is a top athlete can't do it. By the same standard that means Mark Beaumont must have been up to the eye balls in gear then?
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • shinyhelmut
    Not really. Just depends how fast he was going. Get the intensity and nutrition right and I see no reason why someone who is a top athlete can't do it. By the same standard that means Mark Beaumont must have been up to the eye balls in gear then?

Yep, it certainly can be done. Whether it is the most effective way of training is another matter altogether.
  • More like 10k. Quote from him:

Part of that preparation was the decision to take his annual break from the bike in September rather than October, thus having an additional month over his fellow riders to prepare for racing.

“I have trained very well, I've done many kilometres…I've done about 10,000 kilometres, which is enough to train,” he said then. “The level of effort has certainly not been the same as when you race, but I tried to simulate racing with hard training.

Read more: http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/10377 ... z1diIGUenN
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Was thinking about the comment that Valvarde had ridden roughly 48,000km this year in training

Noticed de Cauwer on twitter worked out that, say he was riding 6 days a week all year, he'd be averaging 153km a day.
    That's nothing for a pro. Armstrong busted his ass for six hours a day, which is why he was such a winner. Only lazy French riders would do as little as 150k a day. :lol: